new memeber

elcapitan83

hello,

new member here.

i have inherited a pair of la scalas. type ls-bl, serial no. 8629404. i have the al type crossover.

i run them with a denon dcm-460 changer through either an onkyo arv-400(100 watts solid state)

or a knight kn-740 (~30 watts, all tube)

needless to say, i prefer the knight kn-740! much smoother, more natural sound. i am mostly pleased with this setup, although i know that i can do better with the crossovers. there is a very noticable hiss in both the onkyo and the knight that i am trying to track down. i know that these speakers are "accurate", but i find the hiss very objectionable. is it just from worn out caps in the x-over, or is a different one in order?

also:

i need more bass. the bass is there, but i have a pair of jbl s38s that sound gargantuan by comparison. i don't need mountains of bass, just enough to flap the old pant legs when i crank up who's next. would upgrading the woofers be in order? they are the round magnet k-33e. i was looking at a jbl 2226g/h/j

=> http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/vgc.htm#2226HJ

didn't know how critical it is to mix and match woofers with this particular cabinet.

lastly,

why are all the "leading edges" on this cab so square? where the horns sit recessed in the front panel, the sound waves hit that front edge and must diffract like mad. anyone take a round-over bit and knock off those sharp edges? and why is this cab not stuffed/damped at all? has anyone stuffed/damped, and what are the results?

thank you in advance,

scott laliberte

elcapitan,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your LaScalas. They are truly fine speakers. Also your system sounds like it will be a nice complement to your Scalas. The tubes indeed sounds good with Klipsch Heritage.

You've got alot of info in your post, and there are lots of folks here who will can offer able help and sound advice for you.

One thing I wanted to make sure I was understanding, you are having an annoying hiss when using either the Knight or the Onkyo amp? Hmmm. This is the same in both channels? You probably could do well on some crossover changes, but I think this would be a seperate issue from the hiss.

The lack of stuffing in the cab is due to the folded horn design. There are some forum members who have put some material inside the doghouse, behind the woofer, but I have not tried this.

On the horns mounted on the back of the motorboard, Mr. Klipsch didn't think this made much difference in the sound. Klipsch does sell a Z bracket which allows mounting the tweeter flush with the front of the cab.

On bass, this is part of the nature of the beast with LaScalas. When I was listening to LaScalas, I was much happier with them once I added a sub to the system. Upgrading the woofers would not be helpful, IMO.

this makes me glad i joined!

thank you for the quick and knowledgable replies.

yes, i have been quite pleased with that little knight, believe it or not. of course it could use some new electrolytics and such (the tranco transformers are dated 1959!) but a sweet little setup that really cooks.

yes the hiss is both left and right channels. i have it in both the onkyo and the knight. i had hiss when i tried them(briefly) thru a samson servo 550 (solid state) as well. so this makes me think...old caps in the crossover?

i have no qualms upgrading the x-overs. i actually had heard some guys in these forums offer kits. i am diy all the way! i have built several little tube amps and electric guitars.

as to the bass, i was almost afraid of hearing that. (new woofers won't necessarily increase bass response. for what it's worth, i have one in the absolute corner of the room, about 3 in from the walls. the span is about 8 ft. i have sort of an odd layout in my room, its roughly 14x14. the speakers are in my bedroom, as i still live with my folks. 4.gif i would like to build a pair of stands to increase the definition a bit, maybe a "tighter" bass is what i am going for.

again, i dont listen to much rap or anything. actually, a lot of who, zeppelin, and the like.

i will have to look into front mounting the horns. anybody done this on their la scalas?

If you got your Scalas on hard smooth floor ,try grippers on the bottom take the sliders off the factory put on there and place grippers there. It seemed to make mine sound alot better but i didnt A-B them cause i was in a hurry to get the grippers on.Rick

actually, they are on the second story, on some pretty thick carpet.

i am considering making some angled bases a couple of inches high, maybe with a couple of spikes on the bottom. should help with better coupling, and throw the sound better into the room.

i used to have an old set of epis that i added about 40lbs of sand into.

weighed a ton, but talk about coupling!

so yeah, possibly a base filled with sand with some spikes for the carpet.

where do you guys source your spikes?

i have access to a lathe, so i could possibly turn my own.

which material would i use? steel? aluminum? brass?

opinions on the hiss? is it my old x-overs, or more a function of the drivers themselves?

At the risk of getting Booooed on here, you might look into this unit.

http://www.dbxpro.com/2231.htm

You will "find" a lot of good clean bass. Not sub low levels, but you can also fine tune your room as well.

As a Caveat, do not get an el cheapo unit expecting anything but lousy results. This is a pro model, it will not let in "added hiss" into your system, and with a tweek here and there, you might find it really does a great job too.

About 499. on sale. I use it with my la scala setup, and man they sound fantastic!