RF 7's vs RF 5's

clt1bkc

Okay I am getting ready to make my purchase and am having a difficult time making a decision. I currently have the following set up:

RC 3 II

RS35

RSW 15

Want to get the right Front speakers RF 7's or RF 5's. Had thought about RF 35's but narrowed choice to these two.

The room these are going in is very open. The room opens to a breakfast area in the back, the Kitchen and Foyer to the right. The total room dimensions measure 25 X 22. This does not include the Kitchen Area but does include the breakfast area. Our furniture is combined in the room with in these measurements 17 X 17. The distance from the speakers would be 10-12 feet from the sweet spot. We have high ceilings in this room as well about 15 Foot. Using the speakers 60% movies and 40% Music.

Will the RF 7's be overkill or should I go with the RF 5's. I am leaning toward the 7's. Give me some thoughts

Thanks

I have a authorized dealer with these quotes good or bad?:

RF35 normally $999.94 pair for $899.94 discount of $100

RF5 normally $1399.94 pair for $1259.94 discount of $140

RF7 normally $1999.94 pair for $1799.94 discount of $200

If I'm not here just ask for Steve and he will get you taken care of. the RF5 and RF7 we will have to order. I do want to thank you for stopping by and allowing me to assist you with your speaker needs.

Richard Hovis

----------------

On 11/9/2004 9:03:50 PM clt1bkc wrote:

Will the RF 7's be overkill or should I go with the RF 5's. I am leaning toward the 7's. Give me some thoughts

----------------

I have both RF-7s and RF-5s in my 14 x 15 foot room, and I can tell you it is definitly not overkill!

The RF-5s are an excellent speaker, but to be honost, if you can swing the extra money - go for the '7s and don't look back! Trust me! You'll be happier in the end.

----------------

On 11/9/2004 9:33:49 PM clt1bkc wrote:

How about the price on the RF 7's

----------------

That is about a 10% discount, which is not too bad. See if you can try to talk them into a 15% discount (about $250) off. Or get them to thrown in a free pair of cables.

Also to add - here is a picture I took sometme ago showing an RF-5 next to an RF-7:

rf5-rf7.JPG

----------------

On 11/9/2004 9:45:51 PM clt1bkc wrote:

Any thoughts on how the RC 3II will do as my center. I hit my limit when I buy these 7's.

----------------

It'll work, but you will find that you will really want to eventually get the RC-7, especially considering that you did indicate that you plan on watching movies the majority of the time on your system (as opposed to just listening to music)

Also to add: If you do eventually get the RC-7 for the center, you could then move your RC-3II to the rear center to give you a 6.1 type setup.

I would think they could come down a bit more $1800 seems a little high, especially if you've bought your current klipsch from them. Did you? If so, $1600 would be very fair, given your repeat business. I paid substantially less than even that from an authorized dealer ($1350 in the box, unopened), but they were hurting for biz. They said $1500 would normally be a good price for a good customer (Although at the time there were 2 reference dealers within a couple miles of each other, which helps).

Or, if you didn't buy the originals from them, work in an RC7 for a big discount?

• 7 months later...

I recently added the 7's to my setup. I went in to Ultimateelectronics with $1500, tax included, cash in hand. I must admit, the barter excited me about as much as the thought of finally owning a pair of these bad boys...It took an hour and 15 minutes of battle with the salesman, and manager, but they were in my truck at the end of it. They werent about to let me walk out the door empty handed. I moved my RF-3's (series 1, 225 watts each) to surround detail. I have been nosing around here for some time, and this is my first post. I run Rotel, Parasound Halo gear, and must comment that had I not known the sound that Klipsch is capable of producing, I never would have bought the 7's givin the demo's they have set up @ ultimate. Denon, Pioneer Elite recievers(both high buck units) made them sound BAD.

very informative thread since I'm lookin at the exact two (R-5 OR R-7). I am just curious and please forgive my ignorance but whats the advantage of having those big speakers in the 7's since most of the bass goes to the sub anyways..!!!! I mean does the quality improve in anyway..!!! bigger soundstage.??

You can set the crossover at 50 or 60 Hz with the RF-7s. Bass is non-direstional at low frequencies. The only question is how low must the bass go before it is non-directional. For me it is about 60 Hz.

Speakers should be able to play one full octave below the crossover point. Crossovers are sloped; they are not brick walls.

The horn on the RF-7 is better than the 5. Bass above the crossover is better as well. The RC-7 has the same tweeter as the RF-7 and is light years better than the RC-35.

Bill

For me most of my system is used for analog 2 channel, and the 7's really do well. I use the sub for the occasional movie only. We listen to tunes 70% of the time, and movies is about 30%. When you get down around the 20-40hz range lotsa movie soundtracks go that low, most music doesn't.

Ok, How about in some non-technical terms for a newbie like me, who is trying to understand wat does the lower freq's are used for and what it actually means to me, the listener.

Does it mean that Bigger speakers are more capable of playin low frequencies???

also please explain a little about "crossover" point. At my onkyo receiver, I have it set at 60Hz but m not really sure what its for.

Hustler I am NO expert on this stuff, but I think I can answer in laymans terms for you.

For HT (with the proper sub) Bookshelves are fine for your fronts. But for 2 channel music the Floorstanders and much better.

My system sounds great with moives, but when I want to listen to some tunes I wish I had RF-35's instead of the RB-35's. I am trying to work a trade with my dealer for my RB's.