What do you use for power?

christjared

An estimated budget and your overall goal would be helpful, if you are looking for a cheap but good sounding 2-channel arrangement the HK 430, 630, 730 & 930 Twin Power vintage receivers are really hard to beat for the price vs. performance aspect.

If you looking to branching into HT that is a whole other can of worms with a myriad of choices and options depending on your pocketbook and tastes.

check out the panasonic XR series receivers......

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--11070000,prod_id--11630830.html

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--11070000,prod_id--11630826.html

they all use digital amplifiers that are probably the best receiver amp sections that you will find at this price point..... depending upon the model the prices range from about $200 to $400.....

they are 5.1 receivers so you are all set to go for future home theater use.....

another receiver to consider is the pioneer VSX-1014..... very nice feature set and sound.... the auto eq/room correction feature helps make a mediocre room sound much better.... (i have the same feature on my pioneer elite vsx-55txi)

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9168&taxonomy_id=62-98

1.gif

At that price point, I'd go for

Harman/Kardon AVR230 at www.etronics.com for $319.99

or maybe:

Pioneer VSX-D914K at www.etronics.com for $309.99

or if you really can't go that much:

Harman/Kardon AVR130 at www.etronics.com for $262.99

The AVR230 has more features than the AVR130, and is really worth the extra $57.

I would personaly use rule Denon at this price point. Someone was recommending a Panasonic digital amp in another thread for $360 shipped. But I don't know anything about digital amps myself.

On 11/10/2004 3:55:53 PM minn_male42 wrote:

another receiver to consider is the pioneer VSX-1014..... very nice feature set and sound.... the auto eq/room correction feature helps make a mediocre room sound much better.... (i have the same feature on my pioneer elite vsx-55txi)

Yeah, the VSX-1014TX is THX-rated and has the same feature set as the Elite 52TX, except that the Elite has better quality parts inside. The 1014 is the top of the regular Pioneer heap and it's a good choice. It's at $367.99 at www.etronics.com (and maybe cheaper elsewhere; I didn't google) which is beyond your budget a bit, but might be worth it. But by then, you'll getting close to last year's NAD T742's price too at $399. There's always something else a bit beyond!

If I were you (but I'm not), I'd go either h/k avr-320 or Pioneer VSX-1014TX.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Panasonic XR 25 100wpc 5.1 digital receiver that I purchsed for $179 at J&R Music. I originally bought it because of the space restrictions in my MBR. Even ignoring the obscenely low price this mighty midget is a winner. Smooth sweet and detailed with plenty of umph when the material calls for it. I have powered KG 3.5s with it (before buying my RB15s). Nice, very nice

Jerry Rappaport