Trans Siberian Orchesta concert

BobbyT

----------------

On 11/27/2004 10:14:13 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

HELP gang, been hearing of this TSO band for quite some time and based on your concert reviews, visited the web site. FOUR Christmas albums!!!! First let me explain my musical tastes, then please convince me to go the the show in INdy this Monday (only two days- hope tix still avail).

I grew up on Yes and Floyd, always the theatrical, European extravaganza. Saw every Yes tour from Relayer (first concert ever) until current. Also a huge fan of holiday music. Looks like this TSO might be just the thing for me. Big stage, players who know their chops, classical edge to the repertoire, and the Holidays....

----------------

I have to concur with "BobbyT" here! I've sat only 3 rows from dead-center stage at the TSO concert I was at just this past Tuesday. I was not even 20 feet from the stage, with the lead vocalist directly in front of me. It was just friggan unreal!

As I said above, that had of been the most incredible display of musicianship and showmanship that I've ever had the pleasure to experience!

It sounds like thier "style" will fit into your tastes nicely (I have very simliar tastes). I would highly, highly suggest seeing these guys. I am going to try to convince my friends to go with me to see them up at the Patriot Center in D.C. on the 15th.

----------------

What would be the FIRST TSO CD/DVD I should purchase today???

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

Yes, Christmas Eve and Other Stories is a very good start, and in fact is the album they pretty much played live at the show. I would also suggest getting thier latest album, The Lost Christmas Eve. I found I liked it better in terms of quality and variety better than thier other two, but only barely.

And lastly, one correction to your post. Yes, they currently have four total albums, but only three of them are Christmas-based. Thier forth one, Beethoven's Last Night is a non-Christmas album. There is talk that TSO may be doing a summertime "Beethoven Last Night" tour. Also, they have another album in the works that they mentioned at the show. It is going to be titled something like The Dark Castle or The Castle of Darkness or something like that (I cannot remmeber exactly). Sounds like it may be a Halloween based affair.

Still, I cannot recommend enough to see these guys play live at least once! Just friggan incredible!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything that has been posted here about TSO...just an incredible show from start to finish. As a "metalhead" as well as a Savatage fan this is definitely a treat. The vocalist are just incredible as well as a great story.

This will be my third year in a row seeing them. It will be extra special for me this year because I am taking my 4 year old Daughter who also is a big

fan.

Can you guys who saw the show let me know if they performed "Christmas Dreams" from the new The Lost Christmas Eve?

I ask because this is one of my Daughter's favorite tunes-even though she sings it "Christmas Trees"1.gif

I'll post a review of the Manchester, NH show after I see them tomorrow.

Jeff

Thanks gang, I'll get right on tix for Indy Mon night. Will post appropriate glowing review. Prob nosebleed seats, but thanks for turning me on to them. And all this time I thought they were just some cheesy xmas ripoff act. ARRRRGGGHHH!

Michael- who officially finished the move from Country to City today. Last truck included bro's restaurant equipment, farm implements, rock and roll lighting, trussing, etc. what an eclectic bunch of JUNK! LOL

----------------

On 11/27/2004 7:37:26 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks gang, I'll get right on tix for Indy Mon night. Will post appropriate glowing review. Prob nosebleed seats, but thanks for turning me on to them. And all this time I thought they were just some cheesy xmas ripoff act. ARRRRGGGHHH!

----------------

Awesome! Will be curious to hear what you think of them. It is exactly because they are not a cheesy x-mas ripoff act is that I really like them. Yes, when I first saw thier album, that was my first thought, until I listened to them. Believe me, this is real talent here. You will not be dissapointed.

ARRRGGGHHHH,

unfortunately won't be able to attend show tonight. Wrenched my back out of shape on last trailer load of my move from country home back to Indy (brother's restaurant equipment) I mean BAD, barely slept last night cause of the pain. Had to unload trailer and truck today anyway. Now I'm messed up REAL GOOD! Can't imagine sitting in an arena for 3 hours when I can barely lie in bed with heating pad.

Will have to console self with at least a TSO CD, so I'll get the first Holiday one, maybe the whole trilogy if it's boxed and on sale.

Sorry, there'll be no review of Indy show tonight. Very sad.

Michael

----------------

On 11/29/2004 6:16:22 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Will have to console self with at least a TSO CD, so I'll get the first Holiday one, maybe the whole trilogy if it's boxed and on sale.

----------------

That royally sucks! 8.gif. I hope you get better, and like "BobbyT" said, there is always next year.

Yes, they do have all three of thier Christmas CD's in a box set (which also includes thier DVD, The Ghosts of Christmas Eve.

Definitly worth picking up, if you don't have any of thier CD's yet.

We'll see them Wednesday, 12/8, in Colorado Springs. Caught them last year in Phoenix with the original guys playing and were blown away. Was just listening to CE&OS last night, at high volume. Realized how much their arrangements of classic Christmas songs really tells another side of the Christmas story. Intense, powerful, overwhelming, in your face...

If you're not a believer, you'll probably roll your eyes, but it's really a very intense, serious, and yes, violent, situation. Good versus evil, and it's not pretty. I think we see the sanitized version portrayed more often, 'cause we mortals can't really cope with the flip side of it. Their album always brings tears to my eyes.

They were great, as always. The visuals were fun (lights, lasers, pyro, singers ;), etc...). The first thought that went through my mind when they started was "Wow, this sounds like it does at home" which is a testimony to what I love about Klipsch speakers - that "live" feel. The first part of the show was great, of course. The second part is always fun 'cause they play stuff off new albums and sometimes some cover tunes. Very talented group of musicians.

They got a couple of standing O's, and they seemed genuinely appreciative of that. They also honored a recently-returned-from-Middle-East military audience member - he had front row center (we were 3rd row center, so saw it all closely) and had given him what looked like a backstage pass. Classy.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 8:07:40 AM dougdrake wrote:

The first thought that went through my mind when they started was "Wow, this sounds like it does at home" which is a testimony to what I love about Klipsch speakers - that "live" feel.

----------------

You know? That was exactly what I thought. I was sitting there thinking, "And this is exactly why I spent the money on a good high-end audio system".

----------------

They got a couple of standing O's, and they seemed genuinely appreciative of that. They also honored a recently-returned-from-Middle-East military audience member - he had front row center (we were 3rd row center, so saw it all closely) and had given him what looked like a backstage pass. Classy.

----------------

You had the same seat that I had. I was 3rd row center - not even 20 feet from the stage - I was probably about as far as I normally sit from my own TV set.

Yeah, that is awesome that they honored a recently-returned military vet like that.

Yes indeed, some truly incredible talent on display there! I was going to go see them on the 15th again at the Patriot Center up in D.C., but my friends backed out. I may still go up, and see if I can get tickets at the door, as I am not even going to try to order them online at this point. Depends on the weather, and if I feel like driving up into D.C.. But, man, what an awesome show, and how I'd love to see tham again...

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, excellent show tonight! My wife had surprised me & emailed the TSO website about getting tickets to the show. Because of me being sick, tickets were not in the budget. SO apparently they emailed her back and said we were put on the guest list! When we arrived at the box office, I was surprised to find that they not only gave us free tickets but, they included 2 backstage pass VIP laminates! How cool was that? So we seen some of the band and got to meet & talk with Bob Kinkle a little bit. Very Cool! They played for close to 2 1/2 hours! we had seats about half way back in the center section. As always they put on a great show & I definitely will be looking forward to the summer show & cd "Night Castle".