KG4, to repair, or part out

bradleyland

A friend of mine recently gave me a set of KG4 speakers to do with as I please. One speaker has a blown 8" woofer, and the other has a cracked cone on one of the 8" woofers.

What are my options here? I did a search for KG4 and it looks like the parts are becoming hard to find. I'd love to just buy two K-8-K woofers and slap them in, but I can't really invest a whole lot of time in tracking them down. I couldn't find any on ebay, and I don't see anyone here with any listed.

I'd be willing to part with them for $50 or so if I felt that they would go to a good home. My girlfriend tried to get me to sell them in a garage sale she had yesterday, but everyone either wanted to give me $15 for them, or they wanted to "put the 12 inch from the back into a speaker box for my car" *rolls eyes*

What to do?

You might find a ragged pair of kg2's with bad cabinets and good drivers. I believe the 8" woofers are the same. I wish I had seen your post last week. I was in Orlando and would have gladly paid you the $50. My first Klipsch were KG 4's. If you're in no hurry, the parts will pop up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hadn't thought of checking completed auctions. I think I'll give that a shot.

My girlfriend is really on my behind to get these things out of here because she doesn't like the way they look. She even gave me the go ahead to spend some bucks on some new floor speakers if I would get rid of them :)

Where are you located fastlane? I'm in Vero Beach, FL, which isn't far from Orlando (1.5 hrs). I'd drive them up there to you just to have them go to someone who will use them. If you'd feel more comfortable, I'll even bring a tuner so we can hook them up and you can hear them :)

I just received a reply from the Klipsch parts department, and it appears that I can still buy the K-8-K replacement drivers through them. Unfortunately the price tag is $104.70 per speaker.

What would be the best forum to post these speaker for sale in? General? I'd like to give the guys here a shot at them before I put them on eBay.

On 11/13/2004 11:44:54 PM fastlane wrote:

You might find a ragged pair of kg2's with bad cabinets and good drivers. I believe the 8" woofers are the same.

WRONG! THe KG4 used either a K-8-K or K-3-K (depending on the year they were made) whereas the KG2 used either a K-9-K or K-2-K. I have seen talk about this before, and the two sets of woofer are NOT interchangable.

On 11/15/2004 10:09:49 AM bradleyland wrote:

I just received a reply from the Klipsch parts department, and it appears that I can still buy the K-8-K replacement drivers through them. Unfortunately the price tag is $104.70 per speaker.

I helped someone else here determine a suitable replacement woofer (that had reasonable pricing). I can try to dig that information up if you'd like. He actually found a couple replacement woofers on eBay so he never ended up trying them.

I found the details in an old reply. See below...

> Here is a link to the woofer:

>

>http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-310

> > >Keep in mind that the T/S parameters I am using

> > really

> > >most describe the woofer's low end response. The

> > >isn't really a way to model a woofers upper

> > response.

> > >Based on those parameters the above speaker should

> > >perform very closely to K-8-K woofer originally in

> > >KG4s (at least down in the low end). Wait a

> > second, I

> > >just found under the Specification tab (on that

> > link

> > >above) where they give a link to a graph of the

> > >speaker's measured frequency response. It looks

> > good

> > >up to 2k so it would be a good replacement. Again

> > >that is theorectically speaking -- you never know

> > for

> > >sure until you try but I feel pretty darn good

> > about

> > >these. I do HIGHLY suggest you replace all four

> > >woofers. Double check the dimensions they list for

> > >these drivers and make sure it will fit in the same

> > >hole as the K-8-K woofers.

> > >

> > >Parts Express also has a Vifa that might work, but

> > >honesty the Dayton looks like a much better match

> > on

> > >paper. And besides they are $60 each.

> > >

> > >

> > >BRETT

In case you're wondering how came to be above conclusion, IIRC I compared the T/S specs and also did some computer modeling of the low frequency output. Here are the specs for the K-8-K woofers:

Nomz= 4.00 Ohms Qms= 5.900 Fo= 27.99 Hz Cms= 1268.0000uM/N

Revc= 7.00 Ohms Qes= 0.405 Fi=27.01 Hz Mms= 25.5000Grams

Levc= 1.00mH Qts= 0.379 BL=8.80 TM Pmx= 100.0000Watts

Splo= 88.62 db no= 0.40 % Sb= 0.0220sqM = 34.1000sqIn

SPLi= 88.00db ni= 0.74 % Vas= 0.0870cuM =3.0724cuFT

SPLi=88.58db @ Vg= 2.00V Xmax= 4.0000mm....= 0.1575 In

Fo =Fs

Wow. You da man STL! I'm a speaker noob, so a lot of that is new to me, but I see what you mean. I would love to fix these speakers and use them, but "she who must be obeyed" is really on my to find a new home for them.

By the looks of it, I shouldn't have any problem parting them out on eBay. I think I'm going to make a post in the general section of this forum, and then if no one expresses any interest, I'll just list them on eBay.

Thank you very much for your input though, I greatly appreciate it!

I really do implore you too keep them and fix them up. Down the road, you'll be sad you sold them! For less than $100 (for the replacement woofers) you'll have yourself and very nice set of speakers that really rock!! If you really cannot swing it, I think I might know a someone who might want them. If I didn't have so darn many speakers (and speaker parts) I would buy them myself. :)

I've had great luck with a co. out of Florida called Simplyspeakers. They specialize in refoaming surrounds and reconing speakers. I've had 5 drivers done so far and they would pass for new when they finished with them. Everything is tested before they send them back to you. If you are a DIY'er, they will even send you the kit to fix them yourself. I found them out of desperation when by sub went out of my '95 Taurus SHO. The dealer wanted $465.00 for the sub and enclosure. No one had a replacement that size. I took the enclosure apart, sent them the driver and $35.00 + freight later I was back in business. They also guarantee their work for 12 mo. Just a thought. Carl

Carl, one of the speakers sounds very scratchy when used, but doesn't appear to have any cracks in the cone. Is this a bad voice coil? Is this repairable in the way that you mention? I'd prefer to keep the K-8-K speakers in there if possible. I looked at the replacement Daytons that STL linked (thanks again), and they look nice, but if I can keep the K-8-K originals, I'd be very excited.

The down side to this whole thing is that the speaker topic came up again tonight on the home front. My significant other is really displeased with the "retro 70s" look of the speakers. She's even given me the green light to buy a pear of RF-35's if I get these out of the livingroom :) Talk about conflicted. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles and not look a gift horse in the eye if you know what I mean.

Aaaah! What to do!?

Take the KG4s out of the living room just like she asked and get the RF-35s. BUT don't get ride of the KG4s, keep them for use in a bedroom, office, basement, or even garage (build a shelf and mount them up high out of the way)! About keeping K-8-Ks, I do agree that would be the most preferred thing to do. Look into getting them reconed like the poster just mentioned. That may be the best option -- other that waiting and watching on eBay (which you would have plenty of time to do after getting those RF-35s).

Excellent ideas! I've emailed simplyspeakers and done a google search on reconing klipsch. This turned up a few results. My place doesn't have enough extra rooms for storing these puppies right now, but I have an air-conditioned storage unit that I may put them in for safe keeping. I know I'll regret getting rid of them if I do. I had a set once before that I was babysitting for a friend along with a serious self-amplified Klipsch sub (not sure which, but it was a 12" 500W). What a system that was. The sub was incredible. Boy was I said when that setup left :)