Cables Cables Cables OH MY!

myriadcorp

you get what you pay for, just remember this, you paid good coin for your system, now how do you want to send that signal from A to B.....10.gif

think about it, you need not spend huge bucks, but you will spend a buck or 2 for quality, signal has to get there somehow....10.gif

check out StraightWire, they are in the NASA Space Shuttle....2.gif

regardless, cables DO make a difference...2.gif

----------------

On 11/14/2004 12:01:51 AM boomer9911 wrote:

you get what you pay for, just remember this, you paid good coin for your system, now how do you want to send that signal from A to B.....
10.gif

think about it, you need not spend huge bucks, but you will spend a buck or 2 for quality, signal has to get there somehow....
10.gif

check out StraightWire, they are in the NASA Space Shuttle....
2.gif

regardless, cables DO make a difference...
2.gif
----------------

They also use Bose, whats your point? 3.gif

Just giving you a hard time.

----------------

On 11/13/2004 8:56:57 PM myriadcorp wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good place to get cables cheap?

----------------

Ken already mentioned Bluejeans. Bettercables is a good one too. Cat cables is another. Acoustic Research too. Outlaw doesn't have the widest selection, but their stuff is solid as well. And let's not forget, a few fellows on the forum even make custom cables!

My opinion is to spend more on your analog RCA or XLR cables (ESPECIALLY the ones connecting your preamp to amp), than on digital cables. There is no audible difference between my Monster digital coax and my Kimber Illuminations digital coax, and the price difference between them is $300. There IS however, a significant difference between my Kimber Hero RCA's and my PS Audio RCA's, the latter which are better, and they differ only by $100.

Personally, I say figure out what's "good enough" for you, and then go one notch higher.

My cables:

Kimber Cable 8TC all around(f,r,c)

Kimber Subwoofer

Straightwire Silver Link II

used in C\V, S-video, and also digital(coaxial), and analog.

Kimber Hero is sweet interconnects, great for dvd audio or multi-sacd..10.gif

love silver, to bad gold is an more expensive conductor...10.gif

----------------

On 11/14/2004 12:58:19 AM boomer9911 wrote:

Kimber Hero is sweet interconnects, great for dvd audio or multi-sacd..
10.gif

----------------

Yup, they sure are Boomer. I have em too. But try some PS Audio xStream RCA interconnects. They are slightly more open than the Heroes, and ever so slightly more revealing.

I bought a pair of PS Audio's XStream RCAs when they went on sale a while back and more recently bought a pair of Heros. I haven't gotten those yet so I can't comment on how they sound but in my system, PS Audio's cables are definitely an improvement over my old Monster RCAs.

It's the sort of difference that you hear when you A/B equipment and have the sounds fresh in your mind.

If I hadn't bought new equipment and needed another pair of RCAs, I wouldn't have tried the PS Audios because I was happy with the sound. After getting them, though, I moved the cables around to different pieces of equipment just to compare their sound with something I was familiar with. When I connected the two PS Audios to the front outputs from my universal player to my processor, where my old Monsters were, I found I got noticeably more detail and fuller sound - although I didn't feel my sound was lacking before I tried the new cable.

I ended up putting the PS Audios back to work connecting my processor to my amp but I liked the new cables so much I decided to try out some more RCAs. This time, I got the KimberKable Heros. When I receive them, they'll probably be used between my universal player and processor, unless I find something new.

Anyway, the experience was good enough to make me want to spend more money to switch out the old Monsters. I'm going to end up with a few extra cables in the end. Any idea what I should do with all the extras?

----------------

On 11/14/2004 11:30:48 AM wrench_peddler wrote:

Actually, if your car will run on regular without knocking, using premium will result in lower performance and less miles per gallon.
----------------

Well, my Camry gets an extra kick on 91 octane (read the manual, and my butt dyno says the same thing, and ask on car forums), but you can run 87 octane and loose very little.

If your car is designed for regular, putting premium in does nothing but waste your money. Don't fool yourself into thinking your car can be high performance if it simply cannot. Ain't no Honda or 'Yota ever gonna be a Bovarian or Audi.

Myriadcorp - Acoustic Research cables are pretty decent. They are constructed very well, are visually appealing, and pass the signal along very well. With cables of less importance, such as S-video or basic RCA's for VCR hookup, I can tell no difference between them and Monster cables. I'd recommend AR for most basic applications, but for critical applications I'd look higher.