Sound dampening For Audio Room ?

seti

OK first of all I don't have a waf to contend with...

The room that I use for listening to music is way too live and I have been trying to think of ways to dampen the sound abit more. I have hardwood floors so I put a large rug down which helped a little. I was just thinking about what I could do to the ceiling to help dampen abit more when I thought an old parachute might help. Do you think this could work? Good bad or stupid idea ?

http://www.gr8gear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2544

http://www.omahas.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=60

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=442

http://www.aeroconsystems.com/chutes/p17ft.htm

Thanks

That won't do much of anything unless you bunched it up.

Use acoustic foam if you really don't care about WAF.

riser.jpg

That is 2" foam on the ceiling. I originally had 1" but had problems with the glue and it also just didn't do to much. The 2" was much better. You should also treat your front wall and first reflection points if you can.

If you wanted to 'look' of the parachute on the ceiling put the foam up then put the parachute over that. Make sure it is well secured so it doesn't fall onto a hot amp or lamp or anything.

Shawn

----------------

On 11/15/2004 3:53:41 PM seti wrote:

OK first of all I don't have a waf to contend with...

The room that I use for listening to music is way too live and I have been trying to think of ways to dampen the sound abit more. I have hardwood floors so I put a large rug down which helped a little. I was just thinking about what I could do to the ceiling to help dampen abit more when I thought an old parachute might help. Do you think this could work? Good bad or stupid idea ?

Thanks

----------------

Generally, the best way to tame a live room is to introduce diffusion (rather than absorbtion).

Head on down to the architectural forum and you'll find plenty of info (perhaps check out artto's klipschorn room thread). It sounds to me like masonite panels will be your most effective option (and they're very cheap to make).

Thanks for the insight/advice~! Since I don't really care for the look of the foam I could put that up on the ceiling and then put a parachute over it good idea. I imagine my 300B's wouldn't look to hot with melted nylon.

I hadn't even seen the architectural area I mostly stay in 2 channel or tech questions. Artto's room is insane wow perhaps after I renovate my attic I will have that much room. I am sure it will be easy to build a room designed to listen to music in before I renovate rather than after as I bought a house that was just renovated. I have 1500sqft in my attic but are sloped ceilings ok? I was planning on one long room but not sure if that would be ok acousticaly I suppose I should do some reading before drawing up plans.

Thanks again

I agree that the best way to fix the room is to treat it with acoustical diffusors and or absorbers. It just depends how important this is to you.

This is really a highly technical issue and fortunately there are a lot of good, high performance products that will do this in a jiffy.

Here's a link to RPG's systems which I like:

http://www.rpginc.com/products/cinemusic/cine01.htm

Just read through it for background. It shows all the places & ways you could treat a room. I'd probably treat the ceiling with some Skyline diffusors and the side walls. You don't need a lot of this stuff; just place it where you have your first mode reflections (using the mirror test).

Good luck!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 11/16/2004 3:01:33 PM artto wrote:

Dump the W.

Make sure to take of her attorney(s) too

2.gif

----------------

Not hitched actually but if I ever agree to such an arrangement there will have to be a prenup and the audio room as a pre-existing condition

11.gif12.gif11.gif12.gif

----------------

On 11/16/2004 10:18:26 AM seti wrote:

Artto's room is insane wow perhaps after I renovate my attic I will have that much room. I am sure it will be easy to build a room designed to listen to music in before I renovate rather than after as I bought a house that was just renovated. I have 1500sqft in my attic but are sloped ceilings ok?

I was planning on one long room but not sure if that would be ok acousticaly I suppose I should do some reading before drawing up plans.

----------------

My room is only 485 SQ.FT.

Sloped ceilings are great. Wish I had some with 1500 SQ.FT.

Stay away from rooms that are "long". Its the oveall "PROPORTIONS" that matter. Once a "room" gets large enough (auditorium) this doesn't matter nearly as much