WORK HAS STARTED

YENDOR

----------------

On 12/10/2004 2:12:40 AM formica wrote:

----------------

On 11/24/2004 4:15:05 PM YENDOR wrote:

this remodel job has been more than i expected. once i really got started lot of hidden water damage. mosture seapege around stones .

----------------

They always seem to be more work than expected. Stone foundations and water just don't get along in the long term.

Is this room in your basement? I'm just a little surprised at the stone fireplace... as basements were rarely used for much more than storage in the really old days. It should provide you with a very interesting architectural feature.

Later...

Rob

----------------

yes this is a basment. all exterior walls stone. this is a remodel basmens was finished when we bought, but smell of dampness and musty very strong water and steam heat damaged some walls from in side out. The floor under wood planks, was crushed stone + dirt under floor heater pipes leaking (steam heat system) lots &lots water damage. r& and r all pipes New 3/4 t&g floor down i am puting new wall and door up (solid core) to get as close to zero sound leakage as possible. i start framing tomorrow here are a couple of pictures of the stair case & book case.

i plan work in the all of upgrades elecrical, lighting , sound profing , ect while the walls are open.

later

more pics later

peace

rodney

3.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Good day Members

It has been a while since I posted any new pictures.

Since the last update life and the joy and pain that it brings has reduced work to 2 days per week. As much as I would like to I cannot take credit for all of this work there is a carpenter that I pay an hourly rate. I am still the customer and make changes and I get dirty to, I do a much as I can to defray cost. More money for upgrades.

Status

Framing

95%

Electrical

Lighting . 11 hi hats up and running, 4 zones of them pre wire for graficeye 3500 sys r/c system. Plus an additional one back lighted laser etched glass with klipsch logo Thanks, scooter dog

Recpectipals

4 -20-amp lines are being pulled through the joist to 2-SURG X sxn-240 220 linen conditioner conected at panel one line for Sherburne 7100 amp hopefully; the power support is there nonetheless.

Thanks, Griff, / min male 42

Sound

Pre wire in wall with 12 2 in rubber shielding all location for 6.1 with line for sub with connections at 2 in the in the room. I plan for an all chorus II system if possible may do.

Htpc

I will get unit slimmer to alienware DHS-321pc employing a wireless keyboard & mouse.

New lines for phone & power including 2nd cp .

The Plummer on deck next, bathroom, bar, other work.

If I forget to thank any one, please excuse me. I would like to thank all of the members for the information exchange that happens on this forum because without some of that information I might have wasted some time, money but most of all the personal enrichment is price less

All comments welcome

Peace

Yendor

WHHHOOOAAAA there good Forum Brother. I don't mean to scare you or demean your project, but admitted that there were dampness problems in the basement in the past. I have been involved in home remodeling for over a decade, lived in the swamps of central Indiana, and in a very old farmhouse with a foundation that looks like yours.

That looks like one really rough foundation. How old is the home? How long have you lived there? Have you seen running water in the bsmt in the past? Are you CERTAIN that ALL moisture problems have been taken care of? Looks like someone painted the stone with before the framing started. I hope that is not your only defense against water, because with all the rough mortar joints between what looks to be century-old stone, there WILL be leaks.

Before you close those walls in, I'd at least wait through the spring thaw and rains to be absolutely certain before I put any more money into your basement. Did you install a new exterior or interior foundation perimeter drain system? Dual sump pumps with a water-operated backup? What is the water table in your area? Please be forthright and honest with yourself and ask some tough questions and get warranties of your contractors before you put carpet, furniture and Klipsch Chorus speakers in a possible flood zone. I'd like for this undertaking to have a happy ending for you is why I ask these questions.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Good day all,

I am up earlier than usual, a another winter snow storm school out early, ECT ECT,

Michael

Thanks for you in put your questions raised thought and prodded me to seek out the sources for answers that I could not answer. Plus I am still work at the project. New pictures in a day or so.

House is 85 years old approx.

We have lived here 4 years approx, when we bought home the was smell of dampness in basement had to strip down to bare walls for source of smell and dampness.

Remedies that I have applied

All cracks and motar joints voids fresh mason mix applied, then 25 gallons of oil base dry lock the white paint look. (WE HAVE HAD SOME SEVERE STORM AND SNOW STORMS IN THE AREA south eastern pa. no leaks as of yet the podwer room and equipment space (insulation storage area right now while electrical work is on going) floors in those area got dug out. replaced 7 of concrete in powder room, 5 in equipment room. I will be doing French drain around the boiler and hot water tank. They are on 5 concrete already both installed since we moved in I did not give much thought to sump pump. Talked to other neighbors. Cannot pour whole floor boiler return lines in floor

New gutter system will be done on the ext of house in spring thus far no leaks drain at base of windows cleaned and working (basement is below grade).

More pictures in day or so pulling wire now, ordering banana plugs for and distribution wall plate from digital home e-bay store with speaker wire& quad coax express

More pictures later

Dinner Time (kids)

BRAVO, BRAVO, Good pictures and post on thread with Dr. Who.

What would be a good match for a rear center maybe front center with CHROUSII as mains and rears space may not allow chorus II rear center

Peace

Yendor

Yendor,

Thats' exactly what I thought you'd done when I saw the stones of foundation painted white. Unfortunately, you have to think of the tremendous pressure that ground water can build up to. Paint on the interior of the wall WILL NOT STOP ground water.

? What is the seasonal HIGH water table in your area?

? Does your basement 'see' daylight, ie, is there any portion where the floor is above grade or is there a nearby ravine or ditch nearby that water in the ground at your basement floor level would naturally drain into?

Otherwise you need a perimeter drain around the house, sump pit and pump with emergency backup pump. Around here we use backup pumps that work on the city water pressure, not rely on wimpy car batteries. Theory goes that if storm is bad enough to knock out your electricity, the ground will be saturated with rain water or melting snow. Battery pumps are insufficient and run down quickly. Other option is backup generator.

Please make certain to keep all wood and insulation away from contact with the stone walls.

Hope this helps. WOuld hate to see you go to all that work only to have water seep in. I've seen several members who build a small 'stage' to put speakers and equipment racks onto that gives them a 6" leeway against basement water. Not a bad idea either.

Michael

• 3 months later...

Good day forum members

It has been a while since I gave any updated on my home theater build up.

Michael,

The white paint that you see is actually oil based dry-lock although it looks like paint it not. Prior to the application of the dry lock (25 gallons) the walls were damp to the touch (sweating like a beer mug. it has done it job and corrected that problem.

There is no seasonal high /or low water table in my area. (I was listing to stock report on radio when I was typing last response.

No the basement does not see day light. There is no portion of the floor that is above grade.

I will be installing new gutter system around the extior of house soon.

I have waited for the thaw from the winter and now the rainy season and still no leaks. I would venture to say the dry lock is doing its job.

There have been new drains put in the bottom the window wells. As well as glass block window silicone sealer.

Thus far no leaks from anywhere, winter is over & the spring rain is here

Forward

I have still made progress in the electrical is completed to the point we can start insulation start installing dry wall as soon as the plumber and the alarm company are done.

The speaker wire and cables for HTPC are being pulled the week (all ready cut to length) connection

Is it necessary to solider the connections that area going in the wall?

12/2 no ground for speakers/ quad shield coax for sub runs.

Here is what has been done in the electrical department,

200-amp service Main panel

5 New 20 amp lines for theater room.

There were numerous upgrades to whole house electrical system

Some small framing items remain. (Soffit reconstruction0 add in some additional wall stiffing to the framing

The walls will be ready for 5/8+1/2 drywall

Has any one on this forum ever tried green glue? Over on the avs forum there are a couple of people that recommend it highly.

I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel

I also had made a speaker change. (Space issues) 4 Chorus II, 2-klf c-7 for front & rear center I settled on the klf because the academies are so hard to come by. How will the klfs match up with the chorus II?

Here are some pictures

Thanks in advance please post all of your comments and suggestions

Peace

Yendor

post-12413-13819259387282_thumb.jpg