Help with Back Surrounds

Mike Frankel

I am trying to complete my home theatre and would like suggestions about the 6th and 7th speakers(surround back).

Right now I have two Forte II's in front, an Academy for the center, two more Forte II's for Back speakers for music and two RS-7's for back speakers for movies, and an RSW 15 Sub. I want to add surround back speakers.

I am powering this setup with a Denon 3805 which allows the use of two pairs of back speakers and with switching back and forth, and allows for 2 back surrounds which are the 6th and 7th speakers that I am talking about.

I am fortunate to have two more Academys and want to know if this is a waste for the 6Th and 7Th back surround speakers or a good match, which I think is the case.

If it is not advisable to use the Academys, what would be a a good choice for a match with the rest of the system?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Best, Mike Frankel

Hi, You've got some major problems, with all those nice speakers. 9.gif What to do...What to do? 6.gif

I'd certainly give the Academys a shot, to "make do" with what you've got. Are they able to stand on their ends, for an MTM configuration?

I'd listen to some Heresys in those positions, if you're un-happy with Academys, as they're very close, timbre-wise, to the Fortes.

Fortes all around, would probably be hard to beat though. Only problem could be rear wall placement, as the radiators should be somewhat close to the wall, but then again, as rear or side surrounds, it might not be that much of an issue. I'm hemmin' and hawwin' at this point.

Two Academys to trade(?) for two Heresys or Fortes.... anyone? 2.gif9.gif

Are you using the RS-7's AND the Fortes for surround duty at the same time for HT, A+B ? Unless you have a really large room I think 2 surround back speakers would be a waste. Put the other Academy in the closet along with your stock certificates.

Keith

Just to clarify things:

I am using a second set of Forte II's already as back speakers. I switch between them in a 5.1 MUSIC configuration with the RS-7's in a 5.1 CINEMA configiuration. The Denon 3805 allows you to do that. My question was:

Should I use the two Academys for a 7.1 setup, as rear surrounds(speaker 6 and 7 in a 7.1)?

Thanks for all the opinions so far.

Best,

Mike

SETUP:

Denon 3805

Front: Forte II's

Rear Forte II's

Center: Academy

Rear2: RS-7's

Sub-RSW-15

Back Surrounds?