LP labels: Is "Everest" a good one?

fini

A very interesting thread.

Since we're on the subject of label history has anyone run across the "Archive Production, History of Music Division of the Deutsche Grammmophon Gesellschaft" releases. I picked two of these for a buck a piece recently. These are classical music in stark buff colored sleeves, black printing, with slapped on initialed inspection stickers, special seals and all sorts of serial numbers on the vinyl and the label.

I was wondering if these are just a made up marketing ploy or something special?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 11/20/2004 7:20:50 PM analogman wrote:

Issues from RCA which are "Living Stereos" will have a catalog prefix LSC=Living Stereo Classical or LSP=Living Stereo Popular although fewer titles in the popular genre were released with this designation. One notable exception is the LSS series=Living Stereo Soria Series, the lavish, cloth covered jackets, usually accompanied with beautiful books pertaining to the piece, printed in Switzerland. The LSSs seldom saw general release of more than 500 copies and often only 200 as is the case of LSS-2384 "Don Quixote" by Strauss.

LATTER pressings (re-issues) during the 70's and 80's will not always follow this numbering system, most notably "Camden" RCA's budget and re-issue label at the time.

Of coarse they are "related" but some pressings may be far removed from the originals and the first working masters.

Not all "Living Stereos" will have the famous header with the two JBL D130s flanking the logo.

Regards,

Analogman

----------------

Interesting. The "Pathetique" to which I was referring has the prefix "LSC" but does not say "Living Stereo" anywhere on the LP and has a plain red label. It sounds great I have to admit.

I just found another which is a 2-record set of Arthur Rubinstein, "Three Favorite Romantic Concertos" including Tchaikovsky No.1, Grieg A Minor, and Rachmaninoff No.2. This copy has the prefix "VCS" and was issued in 1971.

I have quite a few of the originals so I know how good they sound! The monos sound good too but I prefer the stereo versions with classical music. With jazz, either way works for me.

BTW - Those Rubinstein LPs are some of the flimsiest I've ever seen! I'm amazed they sound as good as they do.

Most of the "shaded dog" red seals ARE mono. I have LOADS of them and have passed on LOADS more at 50 cents a pop, most NM or better. I often come across big albums of LPs filled with pages of shaded dog Red Seals and would like to know if they're worth scanning for stereo copies. If they don't say "Living Stereo" at the bottom, I've been assuming they are mono. I just want to know if any that DON'T say Living Stereo could be stereo copies. My guess is no.

That's harsh Mr. Analogman. I understand everything you've stated in this thread (I thought). I just wanted to know if the "shaded dog" labels were available with stereo pressings (other than those designated as "Living Stereo") or were abolished with the reissues that came in solid red or orange labels. I've found some pretty early orange and red label pressings (mid 60s).

I'll say no more. You really have a way with words. Please excuse my ignorance.

----------------

On 11/21/2004 12:35:53 AM analogman wrote:

----------------

On 11/20/2004 10:44:01 PM garymd wrote:

Most of the "shaded dog" red seals ARE mono. I have LOADS of them and have passed on LOADS more at 50 cents a pop, most NM or better. Show me a shaded dog stereo pressing that's not a "Living Stereo" issue.

----------------

Gary,

I regret the need to feel that I have to say this, BUT.... you are apparently too damn stupid, or lazy, to understand what has been said regarding this subject. Enjoy your rare Living Stereo Mono Red Seals to your hearts content. I never realized (until now) that you were an idiot.

Your friend,

Analogman

----------------

You really don't have to resort to name calling, even if you think it's a moronic question.

I'll rephrase. I KNOW the shaded dog is irrelevent when it comes to stereo or mono. I have solid red and orange stereo copies from the 60s. These must have all been re-released from early mono pressings and converted to stereo IF they were re-issues. Some were not. Some were actually recorded in the 60s or 70s. I'm sorry I don't know as much about the history of RCA records as you do and I don't believe you understood my question.

We try to be a little patient with each other here and not resort to name-calling. If a question or comment bothers you to that extent, just ignore it.

Our palaver here is done.

Near as I can tell the labels on these re-issues is a direct copy of the originals which look like this:

brhms-2.gif

All the info you could ever want on RCA Labelography can be found at:

http://www.ronpenndorf.com/labelography4.html

Of course that means my disks were made in the US - so I cannot answer Analogman's question on the use of the doggie on European spec vinyl. I will have to check through my collection and see if I have any Living Stereo's printed in the UK.