Cleaning Cane Grill Cloth

Gilbert

My vintage Cornwall's are currently in ReHab. I've got the wood veneer refinishing nailed down pat, But what to do about the original cane grill cloth????

Does anyone have experience with, and recommendation's for cleaning cane grill cloth?

Or, maybe I should just leave it alone.

There are no tears, except for 2 tiny breaks in the cane weeve, which I was able to repair. I originally thought the grill cloth was discolored due to age. But when I removed the motor board, I was pleased to see an exact color match on the portion of grill cloth sandwiched against the cabinet.

I would very much like to clean them (gently of course) and apply some type of preservative, but I don't want to risk damaging them. Any and all opinions welcome. The speakers are reportedly 1961 vintage.

Here's what I have on file:

"Puke contains a chemical called Buteric Acid. That is what gives puke it's characteristic odor. If that oder persists, it is possible to use a mild base (not bass as Klipsch makes that already) such as baking soda and water to neutralize the buteric acid.

Do not ask me how I know this. It brings back too many college memories. Almost got kicked out of a fine organization...

Be careful scrubbing on the grille as you may damage the cloth fibers and make them look bad."

Damn Chris, talk about out of left field.....

I'm not sure where that puke story originated, but I gather that you once puked on your speaker's grill cloth, and had a bytch of time getting it out.

Cheers!

Speaking of puke, that reminds me about my summer vacation at Padre Island. I got so drunk that I turned into a vomiting machine while I was in the swimming pool. Everyone around me cleared the pool and left.10.gif

On my cane grills, I used high PSI compressed air at the shop to remove all the dust, go slow and steady. Then I made a MILD solution of HOT water and household bleach and gently blotted/wiped them, with a rag (terry) SOFTLY so as not to snag the cane. Repeated with just HOT water, as hot as you can stand. Allowed them to dry thoroughly and then Scotch Guarded the hell out of them. No damage to the fiber, no soap residue. Nice, tight and bright.

As always,

Analogman