Perf-ed Projector Screen

rplace

I have read lots of posts about center channel placement. Obviously this is a concern for a TV set up. What are the thoughts on pros/cons for a fixed screen used with a LCD or DLP projector that is perforated allowing the sound to come through the image? I would imagine the picture quality might suffer a bit...but if that was true I can't imagine people buying them. Any experience out there? Da-Lite has a cinema perf line and I am sure others do as well. I am in the framing/building stage of my HT and this seems like a decent idea.

I don't have a whole ton of experience with Accoustically Transparent Screens, however, the general consensus is that they do not sound as good nor look as good as a regular screen and center channel that is not covered up with anything. Have you ever gone right up to the screen in a movie theater? With that type of perforation in the screen I'd think you'd want to sit at least 12 feet back from a moderately sized screen, which is not always optimal in most home setups.

"probably the best perf screen is from stewart..."

Sorry, nope. The best acoustically transparent screen is the Screen Research...absolutely 100% no doubt about it. Totally unique product and patented. It is the only acoustically transparent screen that won't mess up the sound (about 1 db loss across the entire bandwidth), won't mess up the picture, has ISF, THX Ultra2 and Joe Kane approval, won't cause moire problems with LCD or DLP projectors. The Stewart will cause Moire problems and the system has to be re-equalized to pass Ultra2 specs because of the insertion loss and the uneven frequency range effects. I've sold and installed both...DEFINITELY go with the SR screen.

John Dahl from THX sez...

"No screen weve tested to date matches the acoustical transparency of the Screen Research ClearPix2 fabric. Now more Home Theater enthusiasts will be able to enjoy the benefits of proper behind-the-screen placement of the center loudspeaker, with no degradation of audio or video performance."

Joel Silver from ISF sez...

"The Screen Research products are now certified for Flat Spectral Response and White Field Uniformity. Screen Research should be complimented for supplying a screen that has not compromised accuracy for gain. Something that is increasingly rare these days."