TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT KLIPSH HT SET UP

dawgknight

A lot of people in this forum aren't big fans of Yamaha. I had a DSP-A1 with my reference speakers and liked it (I upgraded to separates, but would not have traded out for another integrated amp).

Regarding the RC-7 and RC-35. The RC-7 is a much better speaker, but a lot depends on what else you have. Matching your speakers, especially your front 3, is important.

I LOVE my Yamaha components with Klipsch speakers. I also have RC7 and it's a massive step up from RC35. Remember, you only need ONE center speaker, so get the baddest you can afford. You may step up your mains later (most of us do). The timbre match of front three speakers is important, so most Klipsch users try to get speaker in same series. What are your other speakers, room size, listening tastes, etc. We can then help you more.

Michael

----------------

On 11/24/2004 3:09:07 AM dawgknight wrote:

IS THE YAMAHA 2500 A GOOD MATCH WITH REFERENCE SERIES?

----------------

I think Yamaha would be fine with Klipsch. There are people that say Yamaha tends to be a little "harsh" with Klipsch, but then again, some people have said the same thing about Denon and Pioneer Elite recievers.

I have an old Yamaha R-V702 pro-logic reciever, which I hooked up to my RF-5s once. I was quite pleesantly surprised at just how good it actually sounded. I've loaned these to use at my friends wedding, and gotten plenty of comments from the guests at how good it sounded. In retrospect, I also thought it sounded really good with the Infinity speakers I had with it in my old setup. I ended up re-setting up at least the two Infinity towers and this reciever in my bedroom.

If you can, definitly try to give the unit you are interested in a good listen, preferably in your own setup.

----------------

SECOND QUESTION IS IT WORTH IT TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE IN COST TO BUY A RC 7 INSTESD OF A RC 35?

----------------

If you got the cash, I'd definitly look into making the upgrade. What main speakers are you currently or planning on using? If you are using at least the RF-35's, then yes, the RC-7 would definitly be worth it (a must if using the RF-5 or higher). If you mains are less than the RF-35's, then the RC-7 could be "to much" of a speaker for your mains, in that it could overpower your main speakers, in my opinion.

Since so much information is on your center.. Especially movies made today.. ALWAYS go bigger, stretch it with your center, if movies are important to you.

If it is music you do listen to more than say 80% of the time, the 35's will do.. But I think the concensus in here is if you can go big while you may not need it every time.. It is never a mistake to go bigger in the center. It is a major step up sound wise, and I have never heard a person complain, "Oh geeze, I went too big for my center" ever on this board. A lot wished they spent a few hundred more for the bigger one after they got theirs home.

So my advice is, go bigger!

Thanks for all the advice. This is going to be a dedicated home theater room. The room is approx. 12x20. Tha complete speaker package i am looking at is from an online dealer and includes 2-rf35 1-rc7 center, 2rs7 surrounds, and 1 rw12 sub. Do you think this will be adequate for a while before any mods are needed. this will run me about $2250.

Hi Danny, I've had a Yamaha dts 1300 receiver for a couple years now. It's built like a tank and I've had no problems with it and it sounds great. Right now, I am running it with a RF3, RC3, RS3 and my own sub setup and I'm really happy with it. Bigger centre now makes sense. Sounds like you've got a good deal, however if it is online, follow the other advice and check it out in detail. Post some pix when the baby arrives. Good luck. Hamish

i agree with Carl about the sub(cant comment about the center because ive never compared the 2).i ve heard the rw10 and rw12 and there nothring real special. nice sub but theres others that will give you more for the $. just a suggestion, maybe you d consider a svs or make a diy sub.

scp53