sub placement / sub choice

vleeb

I will need to place the new sub against the front wall or possibly in the corner - I have gathered the RSW-12 is out and the RW12 is in - true? What other options (<$1500) do I have or is the RW12 the way to go for me? System is used 50/50 movies/music - room is 22 x 15 but transitions to other space so it is even harder to fill. I could have two and if so would I put one left and one right?

Gosh at 1500 for a sub you have a lot of options. If your trying to stay Klipsch, you may want to look at the RSW-12 as it is much better then the RW-12. If you don't mind the extra size, the RSW-15 is a great sub if you can find it at 1500 or less. For reference (no pun intended) I got mine for 1400. Another sub company (notice I metion Klipsch first as I love the RSW stuff) if I may say it, SVS makes great movie subs for the money as svsubwoofers.com. The PB-12/2Plus would be great and if you don't mind spending more, the PB-12/2Ultra. Just to let you know, all these subs I metioned are better then the RW-12 but cost more. But in defense of the RW-12, it is still a good sub but I think for your room size you need something with a bit more ooph. If Ears decides to chim in, he make be able to suggest something better.

CD

maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I kinda gather that the RSW series is not a good choice to "bury" into the corner since it has a rear firing driver with a passive front. I kinda wanted to stay with Klipcsh, but am considering the SVS for the downward firing drivers that I think I can put into the corner.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 8:04:53 AM vleeb wrote:

maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I kinda gather that the RSW series is not a good choice to "bury" into the corner since it has a rear firing driver with a passive front.

----------------

an rsw will work great when corner-loaded. what do you mean by "bury"?

We are putting in built-in cabinets and shelves along the front wall of the room - (the whole thing is going to be very very very sold/heavy-duty to accept the current speakers - RC7, RB75's & sub (RS7's in rear) and a planned 50" or so TV.

The cabinet will be 10' across the center (about 26" deep) and leave 2.5' on either side - the sub needs to live in one of those corners. I know that location should come first, but I'm pushed by decor (read spouse). The sub will need to be only an inch or two from the walls and from the side of the new cabinet.

I am starting to consider a bottom firing sub too.

Keep in mind that if you buy a bottom firing sub that unless it is a sealed design (or PR), you still have to make room for the ports. Also be sure you leave yourself enough room to upgrade. If you plan your cabinetry around a specific sized sub and that sub is inadequate for your room size, you're stuck. Carl.

----------------

On 11/28/2004 10:20:36 PM vleeb wrote:

I will need to place the new sub against the front wall or possibly in the corner - I have gathered the RSW-12 is out and the RW12 is in - true? What other options (<$1500) do I have or is the RW12 the way to go for me? System is used 50/50 movies/music - room is 22 x 15 but transitions to other space so it is even harder to fill. I could have two and if so would I put one left and one right?

----------------

I don't know your listening habits, but the RW12 (or the RSW12 for that matter) will probably not be adequate with a room that size. If you're staying with Klipsch I'd go with the RSW15. If you go with SVS I'd do the PB12+2 minimum. Both come in between $1000-$2000, the SVS a few hundred less. With movies I may lean toward the SVS but it's all a matter of opinion.

What are your options of making the whole cabinet thing span the entire width of the room? Perhaps you could construct a space across the front in which you can hide your subwoofer. If you look at this picture, there are two subs positioned behind the black grill below the screen:

Uptown%205.jpg

It would be a trivial matter to integrate something similar into your cabinet such that the entire front comes off (perhaps velcro or something like that). There are tons of entertainment centers that do things like this. Also, the bigger you make it, the more flexibility you will have in the future. You can even build your cabinet in such a way as to allow breathing behind the sub as well (leaving part of the back open and even pulling the cabinet a few inches from the back wall would make a huge difference).

I wish I could go that dedicated set-up route now, but I can't. That looks like alot of fun.

We have the option of going all the way across the room - it involves moving a hvac vent though not too big a deal - also, these will be cabinets across the bottom (probably 27" deep) and shelves on the top with a center section designed for a plasma tv (not yet purchased and not yet sized - probably in the 50" neighborhood) - counter lowered in middle so TV's bottom edge is about 24" off floor and center speaker is just above the screen. Front L & R will sit on counter so the horns will be within 12" (vertical) of center's horn and about 8' apart.

This has to fit the decor to share space with some very nice early american antiques and reproduction furniture. The style of these cabinets will be the same and will be very well built, very sturdy yet still pass muster at a fine furniture gallary - the woodwork will be worth much more than the a/v equipment. I won't be able to vent the bottom of this cabinet well enough for a large sub (working on plenty of vent for components not to mention all the remotes are IR - another challenge of decor vs. use) and a front firing sub with a front port is the best option under that build design. If I leave space on the sides, I was thinking I would have more sub options. While I can spend a few bucks on a sub - I can't go crazy and if I build all the way across, I think I will limit my sub options to front firing/ported only. If I think I can get a nice fast sub of that design I might go with it.

This is not a dedicated theater (that will come in the next house), but a family room with better audio than anyone in the neighborhood.

Right now the TV and components are in an armoire (32" TV- max size that will fit) with RC-7 on top of the cabinet (too high even with it angled down) and RB75's on 27" stands with small infinity sub in corner. I want to accommodate a larger TV and lower the center channel; my wife wants to not have speaker stands. (She would be very happy with small hidden Bose which are not going to happen)

----------------

On 11/30/2004 8:54:06 AM vleeb wrote:

She would be very happy with small hidden Bose which are not going to happen

----------------

6.gif14.gif14.gif2.gif

I can safely say that the RSW's have better WAF than the SVS's... due to finish and SIZE. If you consider the PB12's, don't forget to look at the sub's dimensions, as they are quite large. My sub is approximately the same size and serves as a corner end table, but it won't be mistaken for a AcoustiMess. 2.gif

(EDIT: these are over your budget but:) The Klipsch THX subs are excellent "flagship" subs which have a ton of power and are front vented, but more expensive than the RSW15.

Rob