Additional Cornwall Questions

eq_shadimar

I will be getting my Cornwall's shortly but I will have to re-arrange my current setup to fit them in. I am guessing that the best placement would be in corners but I may not be able to make that happen. So can I just follow normal placment techiques or are there some special tricks that would help?

I am thinking about 2 ft from the wall slightly toed in and about 10 apart as a strat and then adjusting from there.

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

Eq,

After a good bit of experimentation, my Cornwalls sound best (best bass and soundstage) deep into the corners, "toed in" so they face the opposite corner of the room at a perpendicular angle (if you bisect the opposite corner with an imaginary line). Cornwalls are versatile in their placement, but really shine when you get them apart and in the corners (note: PWK also recommends corner placement as optimal). Mine are on the short wall of a 20 x 30 foot room with vaulted ceilings. My Cornwalls are 20ft apart and cover the room beautifully!

Congrats on the purchase!

KG

I agree with Klipschguy about better bass when placed in a corner. Bass, however is not everything and even out of the corner, Cornwalls have enough, although somewhat less bass.

Another thing to consider is soundstage & imaging. This to me is what makes two channel audio really come alive. Do a search on the topic and you'll find plenty of info and some excellant discussions.

Basically, moving them in from the outside walls (two or three feet) and away from the rear walls (also about two or 3 feet) will vastly improve the soundstage and imaging. It has something to do with reducing the sound that bounces off the side walls. I'm no expert but this does work. However, the further they are out in the living space, the more bass reproduction is effected. Search for that happy medium (good soundstage & imaging without destroying bass reproduction). Play around with placement to see what sounds best for you in your listening environment. That's really the key. Even 6 inches one way or the other or toeing them in or out slightly can have dramatic effects on the soundstage, imaging and bass reproduction. Take an afternoon and experiment. Have fun.

I've gotten used to saying that experimentation is always a good thing. Dogma is bad. Corner placement has been advocated by PWK . . . but. . . I dunno.

There is some evidence piling which really argues for alternatives.

1) I observe (just by looking around as the great philospher Berra says) that many people find a good position to be "looking down the horns". I.e., aim the midrange and treble straight at you.

2) Another consistent comment comes from the derived center channel posts. Getting them too far apart creates a hole in the middle; the only solution for which is a center channel.

The International Telecommunication Union and Dolby both seem to favor moving the speakers only 30 degrees each, off center for HT. This may be a bit off point in that they are using a center, and we may have an issue of making the sound stage too much bigger than the viewing screen.

In any event, widely spaced corner placement may be just too much in many applications.

3) There was an issue of boomy bass with Heresys near wall ceiling intersections. A cure was tilting them so as to, again, get the mid and tweeter aimed to the listening position.

My guess here is that there is a lesson. Too weak mids from being off axis might be interpreted at too much bass. Obviously an unbalance is open for interpretation either way.

4) The whole matter of "smearing" of the signal through cable design leave me antagonistic. Yet Klipsch is paying a lot of attention to room refections of the mids these days. So pulling them away from the walls makes sense.

In any event. I sure it is well worth fooling around. No one can know everything about someone else's system, room, speakers.

Regards,

Gil

Thanks for all the help. Tomorrow is the red letter day. I am getting an SVS woofer and Cornwalls delivered on the same day!!! I can't wait! I have a bunch of stuff to do to get everything ready but it will all be worth it cwm30.gif

Laters,

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

1)Dogma often is bad. That's why I experimented and found tests verified the PWK's dogma, in this case.

2) I have no interest in home theater, only in two channel music, so my recommendations follow from that perspective. Since my listening position is a good ways back from the speakers, I perceive no hole in the center of my soundstage (otherwise I would rig up one of my Heresys to fill it in). Really, the sound stage is amazingly large.

3) I do agree for home theater, if that's your bag, having the speakers widely spaced is less than ideal.

4) My listening postion does indeed have me "looking down the horns", and I do think that is a good recommendation. I definitely listen to my Klipsch "on axis."

5) My speakers also seem to have the best sound stage when "toed in" enough to minimize side wall reflections.

6) I appreciate the input. Just figured I'd chip in a couple more cents.

7) Guidelines are nice, but it is important to experiment and place your speakers where they sound best to your ears. After all, there is no accounting for taste.

8) One last thing, at least the Cornwalls give the option for CORNer or WALL placement - K-Horns, for most intents and purposes, don't.

9) I'd like to know how you like your new Cornwalls, EQ.

Warm Regards,

KG

Hey guys just thought I would let you know that right know I am jamming out tunes on the Cornwalls waiting for the sub to arrive. I am playing in 2 channel mode right now on various music (Led Zep to Bach) and trying to tune them in. My listening/HT room is currently in shambles as I have moved everything out of the way execpt for the listening sofa :-) I figure this way I can place the Cornwalls in the best postiion and figure out the rest later. I will keep ya all posted but first impressions are WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

Laters,

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's