Speaker Value

Flason

I have been reading on this board a lot about the "classic Klipsch" speakers, such as the Belle, Chorus, Heresy, etc., holding their value for many years after production. My question is: Will my new KLF30's and C7 have the same type of fate? Not that I'm anticipating a future sale, but to know they won't suffer the same fate as a new car purchase would be a little reassuring.

good question, I think it is too soon to tell, don't foget that the big old horns fill a niche that until recently was disappearing from the home adio marketplace, and maybe it still is, as the narrow KLF towers circulate in the marketplace, I suspect that the price of hufe horns may go down, when six channel music comes around, as I am sure that it will, then the value of big old boxes will surely diminish, and not even the 3 to 5% inflation will add to their value over time,

the used prices may remain constant though, as the big old boxes, like Cornwalls for $400 to $800, compete with newer speakers, with different features, but in the same price range ....

Audio performance aside, one of the things that really attracted me to the heritage line is their...heritage. I think that is also directly related to their high resale value. You see it all the time; this years model is the latest and the greatest, only to be replaced by next years latest and greatest. Even klipsch has succumbed to this kind of new, newer, newest approach to marketing. Gotta have something NEW to hawk. Thank God and PWK that the heritage line still lives on, with the exception of the cornwall, which is MIA.

But, to more directly address your question; no, I don't think the KLFs will hold their value as well as the heritage line, but I'd bet they'll hold it better than most other speakers out there, simply because they do say "Klipsch" on the front, and they .have been in the lineup for a number of years now. I think they are great performers and I would like to see them remain in the lineup, and I'd even like to see the line expanded. (How about a KLF-40 or KLF-50, with even more woofage?) cool.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

You guys are probably right. The price may come down some, but unless the new stuff completly blows away the old stuff, the old stuff should at least maintain a lot of their value. I guess the best way to look at it in the Legend line is to see what happened to the Epic series. The Epic stuff is still highly coveted by many and sells for high dollar on e-bay when posted. I not only have the KLF30's but I also have a pair of KG 5.5's and they still draw quite a good dollar when listed on e-bay. Well thanks for the reassurance.

In response to the KLF series holding its value like the Heritage line I have this response...NO WAY! Although they sound awesome judging from the way the KLFs are holding up(speaker cabinets loosing up,poor internal connections,etc)I cannot imagine how they would hold up in 10-20 years.My friend just recently exchanged his KLF30s because the veneer had start to come off the speakers-this a day after he bought them!Just take a look inside a Heritage speaker...it was built for the long run which explains why so many on this board still have them going srong and like I said earlier the newer Klipsch are a great sounding speaker but if they can't hold up I seriously doubt they will hold their value.

Just my .02 cents worth

Flason,

BTW, I have KG5.5's and am about to buy some more of the old stuff.Wondering if you have tried comparing your KG's and 30's, say for fronts or in stereo, looking for differences in sound? What did you find?Thanks,

Keith

quote:

Originally posted by Flason:

I have been reading on this board a lot about the "classic Klipsch" speakers, such as the Belle, Chorus, Heresy, etc., holding their value

What is the ballpark current value of the Belle or Heresy speakers produced 20-30 years ago?

-egon

Keith, I did a lot of listening comparison with my Polk SDA1C's but never did a real test between these two beasts until tonight after you asked for an opinion. Here's one: Them big boxes are heavy!! I was using Steely Dan Gaucho, Ricki Lee Jones Pirates, and Bolling\Rampal's Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano for comparison, however, I wasn't A-B'ing it. I had to drag my butt off the couch and change out the banana plugs. To my ears the low end between the 2 is to close to call. Mids- again very close but slight edge on vocals to the KLF's. Highs were definately favored by the KLF's, however, a slight tweek on the treble (I keep sound level flat) adjustment closed that difference. Now I am thinking about returning the KLF's and just keeping the KG's. Thanks Keith. Just kidding. I still think the $1350 I spent was worth it.

Flason,

Thanks for the honest answer AND the

work.I've got KG5.5's I've had for years and

would'nt take anything for em.Planning now,

after years of hibernation, to maybe buy KLF20's for fronts & moving 5.5's to rear.

Have recently bought C7 center and S6 surrounds ( been reading about problems with

the Legends )I've got a Sony ES prologic receiver that I've had for 6 years or more and still use basically as a pre amp along with separate amps.I've used this set-up as

5 channel stereo for music and some HT by way of switch box to send full range signal to rears for music and switch to prologic for

HT.Years ago came up with the rear full range

idea because in a large room just seemed to need more output or volume of sound and the rears seemed to fill out the sound.So here now comes 5 and 7 channel stereo.I'm upgrading? now and was wondering about the

sonic match of the two speakers in question.

Your response has helped and I thank you.

Keith

I can see the Heritage stuff keeping or going up in value especially the older Alnico, pre-Hoosier stuff. Like vintage JBL, Altec and EV (much of which is worth far more now than when new) this is serious stuff of interest to fanatical hornies. The stuff made now is just product like Polk or Paradigm and of little interest to collectors or fanatics. I run with some pretty serious hornies and nobody's interested in KLFs, KGs and stuff like that. Khorns, LaScalas, Belles and Cornwalls are another story though, I might start looking for some pre-Hoosier, Alnico LaScalas myself. I just know the value will go up when old PWK is gone, they sound good too.