A little help from the vinyl collectors, please?

Griffinator

I've got a friend whom I intend to assist in sorting out his late uncle's 78rpm collection (friend is 55, so that should give you a gauge on the age of the vinyl), and figuring out what's worthwhile and sellable and what isn't.

Frankly, I know exactly zero about 78's. Any and all advice you can offer here would be greatly appreciated...

Grab any Robert Johnson you find!

Here's a great article on the king of 78 collectors, Joe Bussard.

From the article:

***As for jazz, well, that died out around '33, murdered in cold blood by the Depression and the arrival of the big bands.***

He's an opinionated hoot.

***"Bussard's got sh!t that God don't have," says collector and musician Tom Hoskins, an authority on pre-World War II Delta blues.***

http://www.bluesworld.com/Bussard.html

joefloorrecords.jpg

Joe, years ago, with some of his 78s.

Blues 78s are the holy grail--even post war stuff on labels like Trumpet (Elmore James, Sonnyboy Williamson) fetches BIG money--but are really REALLY scarce. Bebop 78s on DIAL, Savoy, Blue Note from the 1946-53 era are worth a lot too.

The big-band and pop vocal stuff is worthless for the most part.

----------------

On 11/30/2004 3:20:40 AM Griffinator wrote:

Good info, Alan. Now I just gotta hope that this dude wasn't a racist country f***er - this is, after all,
Lynch
burg....

----------------

Well, even if he WAS, you can at least hope he was a racist that bought all of Elvis' stuff on 78. If he has the Elvis you'll be OK 3.gif Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins ("Blue Suede Shoes") etc. though not as valuable as Elvis. IF he turns out to be into Jazz on any level...

Mr. CHARLIE PARKER!! would be the jackpot.

Regards,

Analogman

Yeah, a stack of SUN 78s would be pretty sweet. I actually have quite a few of these-- a bunch of Cash and Perkins and one Elvis (Baby Let's Play House). I put them in my old Jukebox from time to time and even play them on the hi-fi once in a while (it's a pain because I have only one table and have to change the cartridge). I love the SUN sound.

If you run across any of those THICK 78's I've got Grandpa's old Edison 100 in perfect working condition. Like a Victorla but Thomas' baby- music with no wires or electricity- go figure! My library now is only about 100 discs. Hard to find, not real valuable, but tres cool!

Michael