Need Advice on Sony Digital Cameras

I had a Sony DSC p72 and sold it to buy an Olympus C4000. The C4000 takes great (really great) photos and has a 4.1 megapixel resolution, but we miss the Sony's audio when making Mpegs.

The wife wants another Sony. I cannot decide on the DSC p93, p100 or p150,

The P93 and P100 both have a 5.1 resolution. Ths P93 has a manual knob instead of an onscreen menu (a plus) while the p100 has a better lens.

The P150 has a 7.2 resolution and the better lens, but uses onscreen menus.

Does anyone have experience with these cameras that can give some advice?

Thanks,

Chris

No direct experience, but if either of these is fixed lenses, I'd give the optical zoom, maximum aperature (f??) and manufacturer of the lens quite a bit of weight in the decision process vs other factors. Whenever possible, use RAW mode for capturing images and let your computer do the processing to JPEG or whatever. Reason, computers in cameras arenet as good. More pixals is good, but the difference your talking about isn't much, so I'd let the decision rest on lens and features.

MPEG's should be very much secondary in a 'still' camera. Get a Canon ZR series with the shotgun mic and you'll be amazed at the audio you can get on a medium grade video camera. Plus the vid is so much better. One camera to do all is not a good solution.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Canon Powershot A95: You'll love it. (5 Megapixel still camera with AVI video) $349.95 retail. Canon is a camera manufacturer, first/Sony is an electronics manufacturer, first.

If you want a "real" movie camera: Canon Optura Xi miniDV

{EDIT}: I have the Canon Powershot A80 and A95 digital still cameras. Both use standard AA batteries. They are VERY easy to use and their menus are quick to use and not confusing. They also do not tend to gobble-up battery life like so many other brands of digital cameras. One of their most useful features that is hard to find in their price range: They both have flip-out screens in addition to their optical viewfinders. Most other brand cameras in this price range have stationary screens.

I also have the Canon Elura and XL-1S miniDV video cameras. I have experience with Sony miniDV video cameras as well. I prefer the Canons as Sony tries to build in too many features, making the much needed standard features hard to get to quickly. The Sonys seem to cater more to the light-use, consumer market while Canon seems to lean more toward the Prosumer end. In my opinion, Canon makes a more robust camera that will last longer than many other brands. Nikon also makes some robust cameras, although they tend to cost more than most.

Chris,

First off, I am not a Sony fan by any means...from my personal experience their stuff holds out till just after the warranty is up.

With that being said I was given a Sony DSC-P51 2 megapixel camera as a Christmas present a couple of years ago and surprise,surprise- I didn't have one problem with it!

Well,the time had come to replace it as my Wife takes alot of pictures of our 2 children and 2 megapixels were not cutting it anymore.

The search was on for a 5 megapixel camera and after much research I came right back to another Sony camera-this time the Sony DSC-W1.

It has the same features as one of the cameras you are looking at (DSC-P100)including the excellent Carl Zeiss lense but has the 2.5" screen vs the P-100s 1.8".

The P-100 uses the typical Sony body while the W1 is more of a boxy design.

I also like the fact that the W1 uses the AA batteries vs the expensive lithium batteries in most cameras now-a-days.

I,like a past poster, am a Canon camera fan and my Brother recently purchased a Canon A-85 digital camera.After using each I still prefer my Sony feature for feature.The Pics are about equal on each camera so that says alot for an electronic manufacture to compete with Canon.

Jeff