KLF-10 & KLFc-7 Reciever advice

gamer

I figured this would be the best place to ask a question since Im sure alot of you have experience with Klipsch speakers. I recently purchased a pair of KLF 10s and a KLf c-7 center channel and Im currently running a old sony Prologic reciever with a audiosource EQ and I cant seem to get rid of the brightness. I turn the trebble down and they lose there presence. Im sure its got to be my gear because Klipsch speakers have always really impressed me so Im wondering what you guys and gals would use to drive them. I really dont want to spend anymore than $1500. Also any advice on a surround speaker that would sound nice. Thanks

gamer, i went from a sony to marantz sr8000 for what i found to be much less harsh, warm, tube-like sound w/ my klf-30 & c7. jmo.

the touted best surround would be the ksp-s6 though they've been discontinued by klipsch. may find some on

like an e-bay or k-bay (talktokeith) Biggrin.gif

or the new rs-7 have been touted as a good match for legends.

not to get into the wdst vs direct radiating speaker thing, but i also considered the denon 3801. sounds great w/ the klf though i preferred the marantz sound.

the 3801 though has the 7.1 capability along w/ & hookups for 2 sets of surrounds (A,B,A+B).

that appealed to me for using one set of surrounds for music & another for HT, but i didn't have the $ nor the space to go over 5.1. Redface.gif

but u could look at one of those & have like another pair of klf-10 for music surround & a pair of s6 or rs-7 for HT surround. just some thoughts Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

You really hit on some things I have been considering.

The 3801 was one I have been considering but I have a fairly large room and was wondering if I should go with the 4800 as it has a little more power. I also have read some good things about Marantz and Yamaha and was considering the RXV-3000 as a possibility but got nervous as a few reviews Ive seen said yamahas are a little bright. Im not aware of anywhere around here that I could go check out some Marantz equipment. Ill try eye balling some on Yahoo or something. This reciever decision is becoming somewhat of an addiction!!!

The klf 10s for rears would be awesome but Im not sure how the wife will feel about it. I will try the idea out on her though!!! I was thinking on the SS-1 for surrounds but Ill see what I can do about getting my hands on a pair of ksp-s6s; If not any thoughts on the SS1s?

gamer, i haven't heard the ss-1 but i think dougdrake uses them(?) w/ forte fronts.

as for marantz, i was fortunate enough to find a local dealer that had both a denon & the sr8000 to a-b w/ klf-30s. & my local klipsch dealer was also a marantz dealer (though no denon). i tried to "listen through"

the dealer sound room & my own environment but, just a warning, the ideal is of course to get 'em hooked up to

your stuff at your place. of course worst case is to buy any receiver you've never seen and heard.

to throw in if you're looking for that beyond 5.1 &/or more than 1 pair of surround capability, marantz does have the sr19-ex, sr18-ex & others. i also listened to the sr18-ex at the dealer & it had the same smooth sound as the sr8000 & a lot more power to boot.

Gamer - you should also check out the 3802. I posted a review on it in this forum. I don't think the power will be an issue with ultra efficient Klipsch speakers. I would love to have the 4802, but it is more than twice the cost of a 3802 (MSRP anyway). I do believe that the 3802 comes a lot closer to the sound of the 4800 and 5800.

I don't know much about Marantz receivers, other than they are a good brand as well.

Good luck!

Bryan

Well, Boa, since you mentioned it..

Yes, I am currently using SS-1s with Chorus (used to be Forte) fronts, but not by design. I'd say the Chorus are probably similar in strength to the KLF-30 or RS-7. The SS-1s are a leftover from the KG4 mains I had up until this March. I'm also in a pretty small room (10x11). Under those circumstances, they do OK.

However, if I was in a big room, with KLF series speakers, I don't think the SS-1s would be the way to go. Find a pair of KSP-S6 (track down Talk-To-Keith on this board) if you can or the KLF-10 rears as Boa suggests.

Give serious thought to the 3801/3802 receiver. With Klipsch speakers, you'll have no problem filling the room with clean sound! OTOH, there's a used 4800 for sale on Yahoo classifieds (search for Denon under General Merchandise) for $750...

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 08-06-2001 at 07:18 PM

Thanks for the help. It sounds like the 3801 or 3802 may be the way to go and Ill save a few bucks for the rears. I was wondering if you guys would use the EQ I have with either one of these amps,I know its not the best quality but it did enhance the sound of my current reciever.

Not looking good as far as another pair of KLF 10s go. There was a bit of a shock factor with how large they are but I like there size. KSP S6s on the wish list. Is talktokieth listening??

When I bought my KLF 10's the paperwork that came with them showed the KSF S5 for the best rears on the KLF 10. The KSP S6 where actually the best (according to my paperwork) surrounds for the KLF 20 and 30.

I started out with the 10's as mains and I liked them for short periods of listening as they fatigued me. I also started with a Yamaha (lower model 795 or something) and replaced it for a Denon 3300. The Denon was a nice improvement but the KLF 10's still fatigued me. I didn't really think they were bright but after short periods of listening (moderate-loud) I was certainly ready to turn them down. I later added a pair of KLF 30's for the fronts and I put the KLF 10's in the rear for stereo (A. rear ch.) with the KSF S5 (B. rear ch.) Anyway the 30 are a much smoother speaker. It took them to tame the 10's for me.

In regards to the rears, I prefer the 10's for music and movies. The S5's are at +5 db just to keep up with the mains. The 10's provide a much LARGER sound feild then the surrounds but the surrounds are nice for the plain flying over your head effect as they are wall mounted. Efficiency may not be a problem with the new S7 or the more efficient S6 but again the KSF S5 is the best timbre match to the KLF 10's.

I know that if you could swing a pair of KLF 20's or 30's for mains you would be thrilled. I also have a liking for Denon, Marantz and Yamaha in that order. I think the 5 and 7 ch stereo is awesome with a choice of A. rears for music and B. rears for movies on the Denons. JMO and I hope it helps.

Gamer - I'd steer clear of the EQ in your new setup. Some on this board have had success using one to flatten out the response curves due to room interactions. But I think there is a chance of you boosting a frequency band a bit too much and risking frying a tweeter if you get carried away on the volume knob during one of the killer DD/DTS disks... Smile.gif

DD

Yes,I'm listening.Where was it I read where the guy explained the best way to use a equalizer was to take it to the nearest river bridge and give it a whirl! DD was giving you some good advice.Tread lightly with the EQ.

No S-6's in existance that I know of,other than those stacked to the ceiling in boxes in my closet(just kidding).Use RS-3's for surrounds gamer.

The Denon guy(Richard)advised me today that the 3801 would run 9 speakers with my Acurus amplification.Will have to get up off my butt to turn on/off the 100X3 though as switching for the second pair of surrounds will have to be manual.Don't know yet whether or not I'll try that but I thought I'd pass it along.

Gamer,if you watch closely and like the art of the deal

you may swing an Acurus Act111 and 125X5 for your $1500.The amps have a sweet sound and are power rated into 4 ohms.Check U-Bid.

Good luck.

Keith

OOPS! In the re-reading I saw RWMIN's suggestion for the KSF-S5 surrounds.Sorry RWMIN.There you have it!Someone who has been there(thought I saw a pair on E-Bay lately).Also try using a receiver with a "warm" sound(whatever that means)to maybe tame the highs in your 10's.

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 08-07-2001 at 12:08 AM

RWMIN from the sound of things you have quite a system. Im hoping Im able to live with these 10s; have to see after this reciever change. Im selling my old reciever to a friend and it looks like hes going to have the option of an EQ( Id hate to take out a rafterBiggrin.gif ). I looked on Yahoo for some S6s with no luck. Ill try looking for S5s and RS-3s. Man I wish I could be shopping for mains 30s but aint no way right now. Pulling all the tricks out of my hat with the wife to get the OK on a new reciever. I told her the JBL rears Im using now are polluting the Klipsch and we cant have that. So the rears are a work in progress but Its looking mighty good!!!

gamer -

I have been abundantly pleased with my Yamaha receiver, the RX-V990.

I have seen other posters here mention that Yamaha's are "too bright," but that has not been my experience at all.

Yamaha has some of the best distortion ratings in the entire industry - the V990 is rated at .0125% - they can handle 2 ohms, etc, etc...

I have had no problems with mine whatsoever...

the full audio spectrum is clean and clear, and it can most definitely get LOUD... and with that extremely low distortion, it LOVES getting even LOUDER.

Klipsch speakers are innately bright because of the nature of their horn tweeters, and I think this may be causing people to think that it's the fault of the amp...where I think it's actually just the nature of the horns to be very bright - not harsh, but VERY bright...

anyway, to echo someone else, the 3 brands of receiver I like are Yamaha, Denon and Marantz.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

I should have said that the KSF S5 "was" the best match to the KLF 10's because Klipsch has said that the new surrounds are the best for the Legend line. I wonder if they are considered the best of all previous and current models? I can't imagine anything from the reference line being a better timbre match but this new line is supposed to be very good. I wonder if they are "better" rears then previous models because of their higher efficiency rating?

Sorry I can't offer any info on the SS1 other then if their efficiency isn't much different then the other rears mentioned, keep'em. The differences may not be worth the change.

As stated above a good warm receiver is a great idea but it just might not be the end of it either with the KLF 10's. I think that with any of the receivers listed you will find high quality. It will come down to your very own personal preference as to which is best for you. There are a lot of good receivers out these days, I hope you get a chance to evaluate some of them.

Gamer,when you have time you might try a few things to try and tame the highs of your Legends.Take an object such as a book and place under your front spikes so as to aim the speakers slightly above the seated listening position.The bass should improve and the highs should subside a little.I would try removing the EQ from the loop just to see what difference that would make.Try some different interconnects.Ask around.Find something that several people may think tends to sound "warm",such as Straight Wire-Chorus.Then

try a pair between your CD player and receiver(sans EQ)

to see if that helps.Maybe aim the speakers slightly away from the listening position.And if you do buy another receiver,by all means buy a Denon or Marantz.

Good luck to you Gamer.You have some fine speakers there.Hope you enjoy them.

Keith

OK just got done removing EQ and it did tame them a bit

Goog idea Keith; I just assumed since they enhanced my old speakers I would have the same result with these. Tried also aiming them up slightly, didnt notice to much so I put them back on the factory spikes. Im trying to get a hold of that guy that dougdrake2 mentioned on Yahoo classifieds with the AVR4800 that sounds like an excellent deal $750, and it turns out he lives 30mins from me so I could check it out. My fingers are crossed. cwm41.gif

My RCA jacks are a little on the cheasy side and an upgrade couldnt hurt Im off work Sat so Ill go check some out. Has anyone took apart there KLFs to see what kind of wiring is used internally?

Check out Odds and Mods choose the posts from 60 days ago look for "Inside a KLF" (I call it a case of sudden in-flight decompression!) last post was on 7/7/01 by HornEd if that helps you expidite your search. they'll be 3 photos to check out!

Hope it helps.

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built