Synergy 6 or quintet..decisions, decisions!

pox_11

cwm36.gif

Ok, So yesterday I heard the quintet system with the sub woofer, a J&R in NYC. It sounded pretty good.

Since I will be using my speakers for home theater, as well as for music, I am concerned about how well they will handle the music. What are the major differences between the Quintet and the Synergy 6 systems. Is the synergy 6 much larger, and do they come with wall mounts.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...I am totally confused but would like to make the better choice. My room is about 12x12 and I plan on buying a Sony DE575 receiver, and a Sony DVD. Thanks.

This message has been edited by pox_11 on 08-06-2001 at 04:51 PM

Pox - If you're at all interested in music, suck it up and go for the System 6 over the Quints Smile.gif. The Quints are great little HT speakers, but you won't get the fullness you are looking for on music.

You can see the specs for the System 6 on the home web page, under Home Audio, then Microsystems, then System 6 (but you've probably already been there). They don't come with wall mounts, but the SS-.5 are wall-mountable using the keyhole mounts. There is some info in the on-line owner's manual.

I don't know if the SB-1 mains have keyhole mounts.

By the way, what is that Sony receiver going to cost you? I ask because there are many fans of Denon/Klipsch combo's, especially in this price range. You can find a Denon 1601 on clearance (model being replaced by 1602) for about $250 or so, and maybe even a 1801 for not much more. They will give you nice, clean sound.

DD

cwm11.gif

dougdrake2, thanks for the advice and info. The sony will probably cost somewhere between 150 & 220. I live pretty close to a sony outlet store and they always have a bunch of refurbished receivers at good prices. I have read alot of posts about the denon/klipsch combo and I'm quite interested, maybey I'll swing for it if I can find a decent deal.

My other concern is that the system 6 will be to large. The center speaker and the two mains seem huge. Any word on the size comparison?

Hey joeybean, how much did the wall mounts run you, and where did you get them.

thanks dudes!

This message has been edited by pox_11 on 08-07-2001 at 09:35 AM

thumbs down to sony receivers!

avoid them at all costs!!!!!

1) high distortion

2) DSP processor SUCKS (connected to #1)

3) the eternal nemesis, the "sony hiss"

go for denon or yamaha - low distortion, great DSP, no hiss - MUCH better quality and value...

I got the 575 for my mom's HT and am thoroughly unimpressed. It's rated at 100x5, but I don't believe it for a second. I'm a little more of a discerning listener than her and my dad, so it's going to be fine for them (and it was a huge step up from their 30-yr-old JC Penney), but I wouldn't have one in my house if somebody handed me one free from the store.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

This message has been edited by drewzter on 08-07-2001 at 09:57 AM

Pox - Do you have a Klipsch dealer near by? Go look at and listen to the Quintets and the SB-1s. I think that will answer your questions! If you don't have access to a dealer, just look at the specs for them on the Klipsch page and you can see the relative size differences.

Specifically, what are you concerned about as far as the size goes? Big, in itself, is not bad. As BobG likes to say, you can't defy the laws of physics -- you gotta move some air to make sound!

DD

Hey

Well, reading mostly in the Baord and not much posting I hear great things with the Denon/Klipsch or Yamaha/Klipsch setups. Although I don't see much reconition to Harman Kardon on the board at all. I don't know if many people are byest towards the yamies and denons, or that people just haven't taken a look at the Harman Kardon receivers. I owned the cheapest model, the AVR-110. Don't be fooled by the low bandwith ratings that Harman Kardon gives to the amp. Harman Kardon has some nice features but they also lack some too. No DSP modes, just a few standard ones like 5ch audio, but the DSP modes provided on receivers are still very questionable. One of the nice features is 192kHz/24-Bit Crystal chip, which most receivers don't feature but HK does. Hopefully this chip will have its advantages in future audio. Other than that you can't go wrong with Denon or Yamaha. Have fun searching...

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by gamer:

I agree with Drewzter Sony recievers and Klipsch,(at least the lower end models not sure about ES)are not a very good combo.

A friend of mine has a high-end sony setup (not sure of his exact model) and the hiss is outrageous - like constant pink noise from all 5 speakers. Real bad.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

WOW, I think I'll have to listen to them back to back as

doug drake suggested. I also will start lookin into those denons. Thanks for all the recomendations and advice...this place is fly.

cwm11.gif

This message has been edited by pox_11 on 08-08-2001 at 01:22 PM

i would go for the System 6, i have ehard both, they both sound great but it seems to my ears that the System 6 just puts out sound like nothing else... the quintetes seems to hold back with highly dynamic music where the System 6 just keeps pouring out the sound.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy.

Email Amy

IM Amy

Or pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

-------------------------

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/