Tweeters in or out for rears on the side?

rplace

Since you all did so well earlier in the week giving me info on one center channel speaker or two and helped out with screen height (Thanks colterphoto1, Olorin, Strabo, DrWho, radiob, dougdrake) I now turn to you for round 2.

Looking like my rear Heresys will need to go on their sides close to the ceiling. If all goes well stealing the idea where they are mounted in the ceiling angled down like the recent pix posted. My question is do I put the top horns in toward the center of the room or out toward the side walls? Once we establish what way they go can you give me a reason to satisfy my curiosity?

Thanks, Rich

I would put the tweeters near the inside if you have them all the way in the corners... The Heresey woofer bouncing off the side walls.

If they are spread behind you but not in the corners.. the tweeters on the outside to give depth.

I am not trying to waffle..LOL. just played with it like your doing/ considering a lot, and this seems to work the best IMO. Your opinion may vary. Also remember to NOT to stick them up too high, which is the biggest mistake people make.

FYI, most people find if they are spread the same width in the rears as the fronts.. It gives a incredible sound field.

Good luck, and tell us what you ended up with, and why!

Roger

EXACTLY what Indy and Peter said.

Mounting the woofer closer to the three boundary sides (wall, wall, ceiling) will increase the bass. Basically you're now asking the woofer, which tends to be omnidirectional, to radiate into 1/8 of a sphere instead of a wider area- kind of 'horn-loading' it.

You want to keep the sound from the horns OFF the walls to increase clarity. Mids and highs encountering a wall early in their sound path have what's called 'early reflections' which blur the sound and make it sound mushy. These guys have it SOOO right.

Enough explanation? I can go on and on and on , but I won't.

Michael