More Great Library LP Buys

garymd

We can argue until we're blue in the face over the advantages of analog vs digital. I like LPs. That's just a fact.

That being said, a HUGE advantage to being a vinyl junkie like me is the availability of LPs (at least in my area).

Today I stopped at the library where I get many of my used LPs for 50 cents or less depending on quantity purchased and who's working the register. Someone who obviously was very serious about their vinyl left 2 boxes of some of the most well kept LPs I've ever seen. I'm guessing I was the first to see them or they would have been long gone. I ended up with about 60 MINT LPs. I had a very hard time leaving the rest. Even though I already own about half of what I bought, they were just too nice to pass up. Classic rock like Steely Dan and Yes, 70s and 80s jazz like Wheather Report and The Marsalis Brothers. Also, about 20 Windham Hill Jazz albums which I always find to be exceptional recordings even though I've never heard of many of the artists. All in all about half jazz, half rock. Most of the LPs were in the really nice MFSL rice sleeves. The really thick ones.

A very elderly lady saw me paying at the register and asked if I was buying records. I told her I was and she asked if she could call me about the boxes of old 78s that have been sitting in her house for the past 50 years. I gave her my card. You just never know.

Open invitation to any forum member who wants to come over and help me thin out my collection. I have loads of doubles and triples of some really great LPs and some I just will never listen to. If you're in the Baltimore/DC area and like vinyl, pm me and we can figure out if a visit would be worthwhile. My wife would be thrilled.2.gif

Gary,

I've usually avoid library LPs because most of them are way overplayed. You will get lucky on some, but the most of the ones I've picked up are worn out from overuse. 60 Mint Ones... you got lucky for sure. At least from my experience.

I'm lucky in that there are numous thrift stores within half hour drive as well as about 6 decent record shops within an hours drive. I've stopped hitting the thift stores for now. I've got more records than time to listen to them at present.

- No Disc

Great find Gary. Lots of 'library' sales aren't from items actually purchased by the library and checked out by patrons. I suspect from Gary's writing that these boxes had been dropped off as a donation by a patron, then sold at a library sale. I used to give my old computer magazines and college textbooks and know that they never made the permanent collection, they were sold at library sales to make funds for items the library needed.

As well, many municipal libraries have picked up on the longevity of CD's (well if ya don't spread peanut butter on em) and are selling off their LP collections. Just give a look first, but hey for $.50 how can ya go too wrong.

Gary, I don't have any specific requests but have been getting into jazz last few years. Miles, Spyro, eclectic to electric to ambient. Excited about getting the Technics 1700 back in the rack as part of my new BellO system I'm putting together tonight. If ya get any spares or doubles, I'll chip in whatever toward costs and shipping.

Michael

Michael's right on. These are donations to the "Friends Of The Library." It's like a used book and record shop. Many books come from the shelves of the library but all the LPs are donated and I've found it to be an incredibly good source, better than any thrift shops around and I've been to quite a few. Today's find was one of those rare occurences. Right place at the right time.

One LP I'm quite fond of and have had for about a year is "Suite For Flute And Jazz Piano" with Jean-Pierre Rampal and Claude Bolling. A half-speed mastered audiophile pressing (CBS Mastersound) was one of the LPs I found today and it is just amazing. It was tough to drag my a$$ up off the couch to come over and type this. Plus its been a long week.5.gif