Room placement

Hardhitter

Hey guys,

I am setting up my buddies new system. His room totaly sucks!! Too open of an area, but we will try and overcome that. My question is, we have no room on the front wall for the sub. And being that one side wall is a dinning room, and the other wall is a large entrance, we have only one place to put the sub. On the back wall, or on one side wall about half way down. How long of a cable can we run to the sub before we start to have problems? Is 15' to 20' too much? Possibly longer?

Thanks for your input

Dave

Some set ups use a speaker level wiring, others use an RCA shielded "line level" type of connection.

In any event, 20 feet, 40 feet, or more should not be a problem.

In some situations of long runs of wire of RCA type and certain pre-amp outs, there can be issues of loss of high frequencies. Subwoofer installations are not concerned with that at all.

The other issue is whether our ears can detect the direction from which subwoofer frequencies originate. I.e. can anyone tell that the sub is in the back of the room or toward a side. Essentially: No.

The bottom line is that you can do this and expect no problems.

Gil

I've actually have had problems with long runs (greater than 25') of shielded RCA cables picking up what I believe is RFI interference. Its probably just a question of my home's location within the city...

OTOH, I haven't had that problem with long speaker wires.

Rob