transformer hum?

KungFuNat

i have an old hafler dh-220 for my power amp with a set of heresy 1s. i really love the sound, but the hafler has a transformer hum that is audible at low volumes, and its starting to really bother me. i had the amp looked at by a good tech recently, and he remounted the transformer. the hum is better than it was, but its still there. i love the sound of the amp, but i cant deal with the hum anymore.. right now im thinking about getting a new amp altogether. are there any other SS power amps you guys would reccomend? my funds are limited right now, what do you guys think i can get for the hafler? ive seen them go for $200 so id be willing to invest another hundred or 2 for a total of $400 for the new amp.

what do you guys think?

I have an Alesis amp that has some transformer hum. I have been thinking of replacing it with a toroidial, once I figure out the rating on the original. Perhaps it would be a reasonable fix for the Hafler as well.

Hi NatGun

I have a PWR transformer from a DH200 which I'm pretty sure is the same one the DH220 uses.

The Transf. should be in good shape I had it left over after modifying a DH200 to a dual momo pwr supply.

# on TRANSF. 464002 and 8318150

I believe the 464002 is the number to go by.

The DH220 was basically a refinement of the DH200 circuitry and the amps where basically the same.

You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want it just PM me with some contact info.

mike1.gif

----------------

On 12/4/2004 5:35:37 PM djk wrote:

DC off-set on the power line will make transformers buzz/hum.

A toroid is noiser in this respect.

----------------

Dennis,

At the risk of showing my ignorance, can you explain this to me in terms I might understand?

Thanks,

Marvel