Khorns & MC2100?

lovemyhorns

Well, I'll reply to this one.

I have a MC2100, but I have it on a pair of old Advent speakers and I haven't put it on my Khorns in years. I honestly can't remember the sound of that particular amp. But generally the old McIntosh SS stuff sounds pretty nice. I've used 2120's, 2200's, and 2205's on the Khorns in recent years, and they all sound great.

The 2200 that you are familiar with had the powerguard circuit and a little bit newer electronics than the 2100, but I'm not sure of the differences in sound. I expect the powerguard circuit only becomes effective when you approach the limits of the amp, which on Khorns is a bit much.

I think you'd be very happy with the 2100, but IMO you should consider tube amplification with Khorns.

Even if you like the extreme high volumes of 105 wpc into Khorns, I would urge you to reconsider for the health of your ears. I know I wish I had been more careful when I was younger.

Greg

DSCN1710A3.jpg

I used my brother's MC2100 for a short time over a year ago, and it was by far one of the best sounding SS amps I ever used with my Cornwalls (and far from ugly...those classic black and chrome Macs are extremely unique)! It may have been old with less than stellar transistors compared to today's technology, but it was all original and sounded spectacular; definately more tube-like due to its autoformers IMO. If I hadn't gone towards SET topology, I'd still own either the MC2100 or its little brother the MC250.2.gif

post-11084-13819259690988_thumb.jpg

P8100061_then2.jpg

Had a nice MC7200 with those beautiful blue power meters driving my Cornwalls for a time. But it was Mac's Direct-Coupled design (without their patented Autoformers), and to be frank, it didn't sound nearly as lush and warm as the MC2100 or my MC250. Granted, I originally bought the MC7200 for my power-hungry Magnepans, which sounded stellar together! But the full-bodied sound I grew to love with the older MC2100 and MC250 powering my Cornwalls just wasn't there with the MC7200.

So it's just my opinion that any McIntosh amp with Autoformers (SS and tubes) will sound wonderful with sensitive Klipsch horn speakers. McIntosh's Direct-Coupled (SS) amps are better suited for any other less sensitive loudspeaker design...my old JBL monitors and my Maggies loved the MC7200!

Just my two cents worth...

post-11084-13819259691958_thumb.jpg