upgrading from hafler?

KungFuNat

im in the market for a new power amp. i love the sound of my hafler dh-220. but it is developing a transformer hum problem... i know i could just replace the transformer, but the unit is not in great cosmetic condition and some of the metal has been bent due to poor handling over the years. i dont need that much power as most of my critical listening is at moderate volumes.. would an acurus a150 or similar be a decent upgrade? ive seen them go for under $400 which is probably my max on a new amp. i know you guys love tubes, but i really havent heard a pair that blew me away, especially at this price point.. plus i want to keep my rotel pre-amp so i want to stick with a dedicated power amp.

any reccomendations?

DSCN34882.jpg

My youngest brother had a mint Aragon 2004 Mark II power amp driving his Klipsch KG 5.5s...if he hadn't gone the tube route, he would've kept the Aragon, it's that good sounding with our horns. Definately the best SS amp he ever had!

FWIW...2.gif

post-11084-13819259724948_thumb.jpg

i run my hafler with a pair of '79 heresies. i really like the sound, its very detailed and pleasing at low volumes. unfortunately thats where i can hear the transformer hum which is driving me nuts. once i turn the volume up, it gets a bit harsh, but still pretty good.

the rotel is an old 960ax dolby surround processor. i use it for a 2-channel preamp and it works quite well. only problem is that when i use the remote volume control, i can hear the servo working through the speakers. if anything my NAD cd-player is the weak link in my chain.