question about vinyl?

joessportster

hello again i have to say this is one of the best sites i have found on the internet after buying my cornwalls and subscribeing to this forum you all are some very helpful paople its nice to have a place you can go and ask questions and get good straight advice without all the ignorance so thank you all, on to my ?

i have been in the process of restoreing my love for music after a long relationship with a woman who i gave up all my belongings in order to give her and her kids the things they wanted now shes gone and its my turn, i managed to put togeather a fairly decent system to date, phase linear 400 amps, 4000 pre-amp, 5000 tuner, onkyo cp1260f turntable, pioneer ct-f1000 cassette, nakamichi rx202, and a couple spare pieces, have accuired over 1000 cassettes, and am up to almost 400 albums ( i love the vinyl ) my question is what is the best way to clean an album buying off the internet mostly i end up getting some great deals on the old classic rock i love but i also get some vinyl that has been abused for years and needs serious cleaning, and they put out a ton of background noise static when played are they even cleanable?? thanks for all you help to date and i hope to get some good advice here on this one Joe

To me this is the end all be all machine to clean records, some day I'll be able to afford one.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=VPI17F&product_name=HW-17F%20Professional%20Record%20Cleaning%20Machine

As for your current set up, you didn't mention what speakers your using. The Phase Linear 400 amp, or most anything from Bob Carver, may seem a little harsh to speakers with high efficiency such as Klipsch. I used a 400 with a pair of JBL L300 Summits bi-amped with a Hafler and it sounded o.k. in an industrial sort of way. The JBL's were used in a disco in the 70's. If you want a more relaxed sound but still has punch where you need it I would look at maybe a McIntosh (but even used they cost a heck of a lot more than Phase's).

I'm still using a Carver MX-150 Receiver in a system in my study at home. My main system has a Rotel RB1080 amp but as soon as money permits I would love to get a McIntosh MC202 or a tube amp.

You may even want ot consider an outboard phono pre-amp. Some preamps can cut corners on phono sections due to space limitations.

These are just thoughts though.1.gif

That`s a great machine Tom but as we know it`s out of most people`s reach. The 16.5 cleans just as good but without the frills of a reverse mode and an automatic fluid dispenser. I mean who needs an automatic fluid dispenser anyway? The 17 has a built in fan to keep it from over heating during those long cleaning sessions but believe me, after you clean 3 or 4 records you want to stop cleaning and start playing them. In other words, I don`t believe anyone needs a fan either. The reverse mode on the 17 is nice but not necessary IMHO.

For the price you just can not beat the 16.5 for it`s cleaning power and quality build.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sku=AVPI16.5