Some HT Setup Questions

ARPRINCE

I finally received my speaker cables and banana plugs yesterday and started running cables to my speakers (RC35, RF35, RB35, SVS-PB12ISD, YAMAHA RXV1500). I finished at around 2 AM and run the YAMAHA YPAO auto configuration.

When all is said and done, all the speakers where set to LARGE with a X-OVER frequency of 80Hz (I think). Needless to say, I was looking for a more profound bass so I changed all my 5 speakers to SMALL.

I wasn't really able to crank the volume up because it was almost 3:00 PM (watching and testing the sound system with THE MATRIX) when I decided to call it a night.

Is there something more I need to look at? Should I set the surround speakers to LARGE? I really would prefer to get a lot more bass, you know, the likes that rattles the room.

TIA

BTW, It'a actually the first time I really had a good HT setup and I can only say "WHOA!" 9.gif. With the Reference 35 speakers that I have. The dialogue is so clear and the sound effect was outstanding, yup, just like in the movies but better IMHO. On one scene where NEO was shooting the machine gun in the helicopter and the bullets run accross the screen from left to right, you can actually hear the sound shifting from left to right too.

1.gif

Keep the speakers large for now. Turn up the SVS till it mixes in. Why only get some of your wonderful Klipsch sound?

A radio shack spl meter will help you more later.. To set sound pressure levels.. (spl)

LOL, That mechanical voice at 3 am cranked.. Yep, they heard it!! hahahahaha

I second Indy's comments. In addition, the Auto setup on

most receivers do not set the subs up. Check the setting

(gain) on your receiver. It should go from -10 bd to 0 or +10.

crank it up then start using the subs gain. With the setup

you have you will not be lacking in the bsas department.

OK. I will try different variations tonight. If I set the speakers to LARGE or SMALL, in general, should that configuration be accross the board (F-C-R)?

I actually have the SPL meter but I really don't know how to use it right now so I'm reading through the SVS manual. Thinking of getting the AVIA or Video Essentials DVDs (good idea?).

Yes, all set up the same.. yes..large for starters. The set up discs are helpful to beginners, intermediate, and advanced users. The video settings are the best guides on these. Most people can figure out how to set up left center right channels.. in phase out of phase... etc., etc.

Use this, with an SPL meter, and your on your way!

The Yamaha YPAO AUTO configuration set all the speakers to LARGE. I read a few post prior to setting up my system so I set it the SMALL manually. So right now, it is small accross the board.

If this is the case, it means that the X-OVER is engaged. Since the X-OVER freq I have is 80HZ, does that mean all frequency below 80Hz goes to my sub?

TIA

----------------

On 12/7/2004 7:26:55 PM myriadcorp wrote:

Get a radio shack spl meter and set it up yourself. Make your sub about 3-5db above your other speakers. You can do this with the gain or the setup in the receiver. If you want more bass crank up the gain or the db in the receiver.

----------------

OK. I finally figured out (i think) on how to use the SPL meter. As I was reading through the SVS manual, I set up the meter according to instructions. Sitting in the middle, I run tone test on all of my speakers with my receiver at 0 db. I would then point the meter in the direction of the speaker running the tone test and adjust them accordingly.

Initially, the meter needle was reving beyond the +6 db and adjusted it so that it falls to +3 and thats for my F/C/R speakers. I adjusted my sub to +6. I don't even know if +3 is OK. I figured it's in the middle so I chose that reference point. I picked +6 for the Sub because it's +3 above my other speakers.

Am I on the right track here? TIA

I did the test tones with mine just like that. I believe the SPL meter was dialed to 80. I started them all at 0db and had to adjust each to get the same readings on the meter. Not all my speakers are set the same. They were adjusted so they have the same reading in on the meter. Then I bumped my sub up some like the SVS manual instructed.

RTFM, ie read the friggin manual,

with rat shack meter, use slow so you can actually read the thing, I think C weighting is best for music, remember to mount on stand so you don't introduce noise or dampening (human body) and set meter AT RIGHT ANGLE TO SPEAKER per the instructions for proper reading.

There's a post somewhere for a very low frequency adjustment chart, the meter isn't highly sensitive below like 100Hz, so you have to make adjustments.

M