Purchase of Thorens 145 -- Advice Needed!

triceratops

Hey Folks,

I have a chance to purchase a clean example of a Thorens 145 turntable for $250 with base, cover, stock arm, and Shure V-15 cartridge all in real clean shape. I am trying to work out a partial trade for my Dual 1219--still in negotiation. Any thoughts, advice on this Thorens model and cost?

This unit has a non-mechanical (magnetic?) arm lift feature at end of record, which I think is kind of cool. I realize the Thorens may not be ultimate audiophile level table (I would love to get a Teres but can't that afford right now) but I'm hoping this table would be a significant improvement over the Dual.

All comments welcomed,

triceratops

250 isn't too bad for a TD145, provided it's in el-minto condition with intact dustcover.

They are a good table, capable of surprisingly good sound. While it may not be a Teres, it's not exactly chopped liver either. I paid 200 for mine, instead of buying a near-1000 dollar 'entry-level' table.

The little TD145 does better than those 'entry-level' tables, by quite a stretch.

The V15 may be a poor match for the TP16 arm (the one with the enormous headshell). Later versions of the TP16 had a lower effective mass.

The TD145 is basically a 150/160 with autostop -- which is optical. No mechanical interactions to muddle the sound, plus if you have records with tiny leadout grooves, this one will play 'em all the way out -- the autostop senses the *speed* of needle travel, as well as the extent of travel. if its fast, it trips. if it's slow, it won't trip.

I say do it. Imo. 9.gif

I have both of those tables and the Thorens definitely sounds better than the Dual. It might need a bit more tweaking than the Dual. The Duals will play upside down I think. My Thorens TD160 and TD145 have also always been very prone to skipping from footfall so be careful if you're on a wood floor or not using a wall mount rack.

This link has all you ever wanted to know about tweaking these turntables.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/index.html

Thoriated-

Thanks for the input! Cover and case look great (hoping that indicates the mechanicals have been handled gently too).

Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for a better match on the cartridge that is not too expensive? This will go in my new listening room (converted garage) with khorns, SS Threshold preamp, Welborne DRD 300B monoblocks. My listening is a mixed bag of jazz, eclectic rock (Crimson, Zappa, etc), female vocalists, and some traditional acoustic music.

Scotto-

Appreciate your thoughts and the Thorens link! It remains to be seen how much vibration transmission the floor will have (2 x 6 joists laid on shims over concrete, with particle board flooring). It will be carpeted, so maybe that will help with the skipping tendencies. Any thoughts on cartridges? Thanks!

Best in horns,

triceratops

I use the Audio Technica 440ML. Output is ~4mv, it is hi-output MM. The stylus is a microline, digs deep into the groove and offers *very* little noise even on so-so vinyl.

This match is a little marginal, the 440 has a smidge too much compliance, so warped records will elict a bit of 'woofer pumping,' but this problem is rather minor, not violent.

I'm still searching for that 'perfect' cart for the TP16 arm. 12.gif

Triceratops,

I also like those AT 440ML which are about $100.00 I have really liked this oddball Audio Technica cartridge that i'm not even sure if it's still in production. AT 331LP . I bought one from one of the Ebay cartridge sellers, good guy, www.edsaunders.com. He still has them on his website. About $79.00 Other than that, I've never put anything very expensive on these tables. I always see them with the old Pickering XV-15 on them when they're for sale.

I don't know how my TD165 compares to the 145 but I use a V15MkV and think it matches very well. The Thorens suspension tables do skip easily but the V15 with the brush down seems to help a little. Good luck.

BTW - I paid about $100 for my table, no cart. The only flaw was a crack in the dustcover near the hinge.

Thanks Gary, Thoriated, and Scotto,

I've heard some good things about Grado cartridges and I know they make some that are not super expensive. There is a shop in Portland (Echo Audio) that I like a lot and they carry Grado cartridges and headphones. Any thoughts on those puppies (particularly the economy models)?

Truly warped beyond recognition,

triceratops

Yes, Grado's are wonderful. But you'll get an annoying hum with some turntables and I think the Thorens 160/145 might be one of them. I've had Grado Reds on a Project(similar to Music Hall) that sound really great. Typically you can't hear the hum until you get the arm over the platter. Now you've peaked my interest, I've got a Grado Red sitting around and I just pulled my 160 out of storage, I'll mount it tonight and see if it has the dreaded Grado hum.

If you are not planning on using the cartridge that comes with the table, I would recommend against buying it. Look at some completed ebay auctions. These tables go for peanuts these days and you can certainly do better than $250 without a cart. If you do buy it, try the shure first. You may be suprised.

One more thing. I tried to upgrade the stock I/Cs on my 165 and got a fairly loud hum. Once I put the stock cheapo I/Cs back on, it was fine. I don't know if this is common to all models but thought you may want to know.

Scotto-

Thanks for the tip--I'll be curious what you find out with the Grado/Thorens combo...

Gary-

I appreciate your insight. You're right--I should do some costing research. Is the hum picked up by the cartridge and going through the amplifier, or is it mechanical hum coming from the turntable unit itself?

Thanks folks,

triceratops