computer memory difference?

wheelman

----------------

On 1/6/2005 3:15:50 PM verso wrote:

I agree, well I wouldn't consider myself a 'packrat' but no one really needs a 250GB hard drive, an 80GB hard drive is sufficient, in my opinion.

- Steven----------------

hd.JPG

You obviously don't use your computer for any kind of video files/editing. The attatched screenshot is from only one of my computers. I have two others that are Pretty full as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ram is the easiest, cheapest upgrade you can make on a computer, and will give you the most immediately noticable boost in performance.

post-4951-13819259797778_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

throughput

1) In computer technology, throughput is the amount of work that a computer can do in a given time period. Historically, throughput has been a measure of the comparative effectiveness of large commercial computers that run many programs concurrently. An early throughput measure was the number of batch jobs completed in a day. More recent measures assume a more complicated mixture of work or focus on some particular aspect of computer operation. While "cost per million instructions per second (MIPS)" provides a basis for comparing the cost of raw computing over time or by manufacturer, throughput theoretically tells you how much useful work the MIPS are producing.

Another measure of computer productivity is performance, the speed with which one or a set of batch programs run with a certain workload or how many interactive user requests are being handled with what responsiveness. The amount of time between a single interactive user request being entered and receiving the application's response is known as response time.

A benchmark can be used to measure throughput.

http://www.sun.com/processors/throughput/datasheet.html

10.gif

Colin,

I guess this issue is still bugging you... You quote a definition of throughput that can be thought of as MIPS. So you'll have to agree that in that case one would be linearly proportional to the other. MIPS are millions of CPU instructions per seconds. The faster the clock rate, the more instructions per seconds. It's a linear relation.

The other page you quote from Sun basically says that throughput is no longer proportionnal to CPU clock rate because memory access can't keep up to feed data and some CPU cycles are waisted waiting for data (CPU speed grew faster than memory speed). So throughput has actually less than a one-to-one relation to CPU clock speed. Sun addresses this by multi-threading, but this doesn't apply to your home PC running software that doesn't multi-thread.

I hope this helps. I certainly don't want to appear negative about this issue. I value your input about audio and issue has no bearing on that. I'm sorry if I appeared confrontational; this is a fun, low stress, place and I want to keep it that way.

2.gif

Wow thanks for everyones input and good input it is. I decided to keep my existing computer, because it's economically sane and it's very upgradable and its' paid for. My computer just broke down and it turned out it fried a video card. It was a weak one like 8mb or something. The new one my computer guy put in cost me ten bucks it is an AGP 32MB Display Card. Would this work for any video games? He also took out my favorite easy cd creator by roxio and put in nero 6 for nothing. He said it was more cdrw compatible. I haven't tried that yet, but I did like the one click burning of the other. This might have it but I haven't messed with it yet. He also took out my subscribtion to norton said it demands to much and put in avg 7.0 instead. It seems to run tasks quicker now. He also installed spybot for me. Cleaned the cooling fans thoroughly inside/out removed and cleaned the drive belt on the 56x cd rom also the CMOS battery needed changed. My computer wouldn't even turn on. Also did the usual degragmentation. Total was 38.50. Now that I know it's possible to live without a computer1.gif I will probally be uprading the ram and hardrive. I think I only have 8gb for my hardrive. Not sure what ram I have.

Wow, that's pretty sweet that he did all that work for only $38. Especially since he installed over $100 worth of software. Plus, I'm sure you learned a few things watching him, that's worth a lot there, because it takes HOURS and HOURS to learn about this stuff on your own. As far as the Video card, it depends what kind of games you are talking about. You can play solitare no sweat, but you aren't going to be able to play the new "hot" games with that card, at least not with any kind of quality/speed. One thing you want to find out about the anti-virus is, do you get updates with that? Anti-virus software will protect you against existing viruses (viruses that existed when the software was made/last updated) but won't protect you against new viruses, which are created every day.

Toddvj yeah he's a real descent person. By the way I just had to update that new anti virus avg last night already, but it was upgradable and it didn't cost me nothing yet. It downloaded and everything was fine after that. It said it was running out of time or something. So I hit updates and it was fine after that. I noticed it says free edition. So I hope it works for awhile it seems to run smoother so far. As for knowing what he did he told me over the phone, and wrote it down on the invoice. I dropped the tower off at his home. I didn't think the card would be good enough for games, but it will work for now.

• 2 weeks later...

My $200 Dell died from a short; a long screw on the floppy drive touching the motherboard and frying everything (NOT me). So it is back to an aging 400mHz back-up PC with only 12GB HD for me. Pop in 128MB to bring it up to 192MB. Most of the time Hotmail, Forum and Word are open, about 174MB page files used and CPU at 6-10% - do real speed difference EXCEPT when going to HD, then it is real slooooowwww

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got done buying a complete computer from scratch. I am learning just from that experience. I will have my computer guy put it together. Although I think I could do it. But I don't want to risk it. I want a good gaming computer at a good price. Nothing to fancy but it sure is gonna look killer. I got a gamer case with blue led's to light up a radiation sign on the side. It's going to be totally tricked out for little money. Well compared to the mass produced inferior product. Got klipsch speakers to go. I ordered a amd 2700+ thorobred core processor. I heard they overclock well and run cooler than the new barton cores ( I don't know how to do this but it's interesting, and worth having if I do down the road learn). I am not sure if my new xfx mach 4 kt40 mobo will handle it though. It says it takes the anthlon xp processors. I keep learning more and more every day. I am finding I may have should of went with abit for overclocking, but I am not ready for that yet. I need more knowledge. Plus I am going to have the comp. guy do it. If any one could help by Monday it would be a great help. These guys send computer stuff out like it's noones business FAST!!!! I need to know if that processor will work with my motherboard. I also got the xfx geforce 5200 graphics card 128mb. See all about low cost, but not the best. I highly recomend anyone that needs a computer to buy there own you can hot rod it anyway you want it. Also you never need another computer again just buy whatever you need as time goes. I am so glad I didn't go mac. Although there nice if your rich. Other mentionables a 80gb hitachi hardrive, dvdrecorder (that's it don't need anthing else). Cooling fan, and heatsink for the processor and three led lit fans for the case. A 350 watt power supply, ultra 512 mb pc3200 ddr 400mhz cl3. All the input keyboards ext. surge protector. A pretty nice 17 flat screen crt monitor with a silver and black look. Plus the game Far cry to test it out when I am done at medium gaming level if I am lucky. Altogether I got roughly 672 dollars into it. Not bad? One thing I cannot part with is my microsoft mouse. It's just like a broken in guitar or baseball glove. Nothing feels right except that one.