Cart suggestions for Scout.4mV output or higher

robster

Hello,

I'll probably buy a used Scout for $1150 with tonearm.

My Bizzy Bee Fisher 400 tube receivers recquiress a phono cartridge with 4 mV or higher output.Any sugegstions for a cartridge for the Scout the Dynavector 10x5 is 2.5mV output which isn't high enough.

I listen to all types of music on my Fortes.

I'm currently using a AR ES-1 table with an Ortofon super OM-20 MC cart that has a 4mV output,would it be a fair match for the Scout.

Cheers and many thanks,

Robert

Robster,

What kind of volume control travel are you experiencing with you existing setup ? What's important here as far as the Fisher is concerned is that the output of the cartridge doesn't force you into the Hiss/Hum area of the phono section. The lower the output of the cartridge the more you will have to turn the volume control up. So take a LP and turn your esisting setup to the max volume you would normally listen at then lift the needle and see what kind of noise your experiencing. If its tolerable at that level then turn the volume up more and see just how much playing room you have. If you have no playing room then don't go to a lower output cartridge.

Also off the top of my head I can't remember if the 400 has a High and Low phono input if it has both which one are you using now ?

Craig

Hi Craig,

many thanks for the info. I have my turntable connected to the low inputs on the Fisher. I tried hooking them to the high inputs but that cuts my volume by 25% just to see what the sound difference was.

I'm currently using a 4mV output Ortofon Super OM 20 MC cart.

When playing the turntable I have to turn the volume up at 25% more to reach the normal listening level,than when playing CD player or radio.

I just tried lifting the tone arm and turning up the volume,I don't get hiss or hum untill I turn the volume up to about 12 o'clock or at half of full volume.

Right now when playing records I turn the volume control to about 1/4 from full volume and when playing CD or radio I turn the volume control to 1/8 full volume for normal moderate listening levels in a small room.

Customer service rep at VPI said the Dyanvector 10X5 cart a 2.5mV cart puts out more volume than most like shure.

Cheers,

Robert