FS: Klipsch Epic CF-4s

texas42

Medium oak, sounds great with tubes. Large and very efficient (102db). Prefer local pickup in San Antonio or possible transfer in Texas. Also, *might* consider trades. Already have a pair of RF-7s so don't really have the room for them. $750. Email if interested.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 7:44:12 PM Dylanl wrote:

Texas, I always wondered how they compared to the RF7's. Can you comment?

----------------

In some ways, I actually prefer them to the RFs. They are both two ways, which I prefer in most applications, and both exhibit a lot of detail. I like the looks of the CF-4s a bit better as well. The CF's tend to have a bigger soundstage and maybe a bit more punch (probably due to the sheer size of the woofers and horn of the CFs compared to the RFs). However, since I have the matching RC-7 and use my RFs in a dual (audio and home theater) arrangement in my main listening room (living room) I decided to keep the RFs. I don't for a second though regret buying my RFs. They are definitely keepers and I've owned KLF 20s, Cornwalls, Chorus, La Scalas, Heresys and Quartets the past few years and prefer the RFs to all of those for my particular applications. The RFs give me the dynamics of the heritage series with a bit more accuracy and musicality, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

about the only good thing about them is they are big

I had a pair of EPIC CF-3 that I bought new

only kept them for one week, returned them

something about the sound of these was off

not one of Klipsch great designs

talked to others that I know that have Heritage Klipsch and they all said the EPIC was one of the worst speakers Klipsch ever produced

I would have to agree with this

Went to another store that carried Heritage line and bought Forte II's

now that is a great speaker

a well balanced sound

Actually, with good electronics, they sound very refined. Not sure what you were using them with or the acoustical setup of your room. They do sound dissimilar to the Heritage series, but that does not make them 'bad' or worse by any stretch of the imagination. Just different ways of approaching a design. Two ways can often sound clearer than 3s as you don't have another driver and more complicated crossover getting in the way of the music. To each their own, though. Best to listen with your own ears and judge for yourself.

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 12/30/2004 9:00:49 AM mbajner wrote:

about the only good thing about them is they are big

I had a pair of EPIC CF-3 that I bought new

only kept them for one week, returned them

something about the sound of these was off

not one of Klipsch great designs

talked to others that I know that have Heritage Klipsch and they all said the EPIC was one of the worst speakers Klipsch ever produced

I would have to agree with this

Went to another store that carried Heritage line and bought Forte II's

now that is a great speaker

a well balanced sound

----------------

I'm looking forward to hearing the 4s that Dave sold a friend of mine (His M-I-L is my best friend.). He's paired them with 3s that I've enjoyed many_ times. When he lived here, I would take music when I visited, & liked the different kind of sound the 3s have, compared to my LaS & Khorns. I don't prefer it, but do like the occasional change to a sound with more of a punch to the bass. He's just getting into SACD, & I'm taking a double stack of SACDs.

Dave,

What's with the grill on one midrange, only? Are they different series? I haven't seen them yet, but he says one has a grill over the mid horn?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

SSH

I'm not certain what you are referring to...I bought them from the original owner who purchased them at a military exchange in Germany. I only owned them a few months but they appeared to be the same vintage to me. I know they sounded great with my tubes amps. They do need a large room to sound best, in my opinion...

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 12/30/2004 9:21:25 AM ssh wrote:

Dave,

What's with the grill on one midrange, only? Are they different series? I haven't seen them yet, but he says one has a grill over the mid horn?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

SSH

----------------