Autotransformer/attenuation values

popbumper

----------------

On 7/16/2005 8:07:20 PM DeanG wrote:

Bob -- sure, that would make sense, and we'll assume that's the case. However, that's really not what I'm asking. Look at it like this then: If we are using the T2A, on tap 4 the reflected impedance is roughly 32 ohms, and the primary cap is sized for that impedance (actually 29.5 ohms). If we drop the squawker to tap 3, the reflected impedance doubles, and we size the primary cap accordingly (6.8uF). The 3db reduction changes the cap value, so, why not a 1db reduction?

Chris, let's save the FAQ thing for another thread and keep this one for the autoformers. In fact, we actually had a huge FAQ thread a couple of years ago over on two channel, I'll see if I can find it.

----------------

Dean,

I am just saying that if the cap was right for the AK-3 using the T4A, then it should still be right for the AK-3 using the 3636 set for 4 db. Now if you are wanting to play with the attenuation level of the squawker using the 3636 in an AK-3, then you do have to think about what you are doing to the crossover frequency. I do however think that up or down 1 db or so makes very little difference. From some previous testing, I think that even moving as much as 3 db didn't seem to move the crossover point significantly when the cap value was held constant.

Bob

Now if you are wanting to play with the attenuation level of the squawker using the 3636 in an AK-3...

No, that wasn't why I brought it up. I was basically thinking out loud, and just wanted to get it out here to see what you guys would say. My concern was really isolated to the impact the shifting impedance would have on the primary cap value. I was thinking the same thing you are, but wanted to make sure.

----------------

On 7/16/2005 8:59:16 PM DeanG wrote:

Now if you are wanting to play with the attenuation level of the squawker using the 3636 in an AK-3...

No, that wasn't why I brought it up. I was basically thinking out loud, and just wanted to get it out here to see what you guys would say. My concern was really isolated to the impact the shifting impedance would have on the primary cap value. I was thinking the same thing you are, but wanted to make sure.

----------------

Dean,

Look at the AA, AK-2 and AK-3. For attenuation values of 3, 5, and 4 db, Klipsch stayed with the 13 uF cap.

Bob

LOL, I would never whack one of my children with a Smith Chart, though I did throw a Periodic Table of the Elements across the room at one of them once. :)

Look at the AA, AK-2 and AK-3. For attenuation values of 3, 5, and 4 db, Klipsch stayed with the 13 uF cap.

Maybe the addition of the ferrite core inductor in parallel with the squawker in those later networks shifted the reflected impedance enough so the value didn't have to be changed. No matter, it was just something I was curious about.