I just joined the Klipsch Klub...WOOHOO!!!

Anubis

That's right! I am a full Klipsch convert now. I went from Boston Acoustics to a whole Ref 7 setup. I am not saying that my BA's were bad, but that the Klipsch kicks its butt in EVERY way cwm1.gif. My system is now:

Denon 5800

Klipsch RF-7 L/R

Klipsch RC-7 C

Klipsch RS-7 Rears and Sides (EX/ES)

SVS 20-39PC

I don't even know where to start on this. My soundstage is HUGE now. IMO it sounds better then any of the theaters in my town. I now realize what I was missing in sound. My Boston's sounded so shallow and small. The Klipsch sound full and reproduce the sound the way I like it. The RF-7's added such depth to everything. It sounds good from high to low. It also compliments my SVS VERY well. I am noticing new sounds that weren't there before. It's like watching my movies for the first time again.

EDIT:Forgot to add that the RC-7 sounds equally as awesome. My BA's never sounded truely timbre matched. With the REF-7's the front soundstage is seemless. You could never tell the RC-7 was a different speaker. It's as detailed and full sounding as the RF-7's.

The surrounds were the best surprise of them all. I orignally had BA VRS dipoles. I like dipoles very much, but also wanted to tell where the sound was coming from (kind of like a mix of a dipole and monopole). The BA's sound would tend to smear into each other (It would sound like the speakers were confused...does that make sense?). I hated it because I could never tell where the sound was supposed to be. The RS-7's provided the exact sound I wanted. I could tell where the sound was coming from, but it sounded like it enveloped the side of my room and the sound never invades the other speakers territory (like a movie theater).

I have to give the REF-7 series a whole hearted 100 out of 10. Everyone needs to take a listen to these. You will NOT be disappointed.

PS-Sorry if I sound like I trying to sell them. I am just so happy to have these awesome speakers. I wanted Klipsch speakers even before I bought my BA's, but couldn't afford them. I loved the Legend series when they were first released. I wanted them so bad, but settled on the BA's as I liked their sound better then everything else I heard at the time (except the Klipsch) and they fit my budget. Now I have to say the REF-7 series takes the cake over everything else I have listened to...IMO.

------------------

---

...transmission terminated...

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

This message has been edited by Anubis on 08-07-2001 at 04:33 PM

Oh my - that is quite a system you have! cwm1.gif

-----

I don't even know where to start on this. My soundstage is HUGE now. IMO it sounds better then any of the theaters in my town.

-----

I would venture to say that it probably sounds better than any theater ANYWHERE!

That is a killer system - you must be jazzed to finally be in that audio nirvana!

Reference 7 Series all the way around - your dealer must LOVE you!

Congrats!

Bryan

when i was out pullin weeds, thought i heard some boomin comin outa the southwest Biggrin.gif

actually keith it's 'bout 200 mi one way.

congrats abis on the newest top o' the line klipsch setup. & an svs to boot!

still waiting to hear the new refs in cherry here in KC. enjoy!

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Thanks everyone! I couldn't be happier (could you tell Wink.gif ).

boa12-I am sure they will sound just as good in cherry Wink.gif . Black was the only way I could go in order to match my surroundings. Curious...do you go to Kief's in Lawrence for your Klipsch stuff (I believe they are the only Klipsch dealer in the KC area..right?)? I was in there one time and talked to Mr. Kiefer himself. He is a really nice guy.

I bought my Klipsch speakers from The Sound Station in Barttlesville, OK. The service was TOP NOTCH. I HIGHLY recommend them. (Can't hurt to advertise them since they were so good and I see people looking for good dealers all the time.) If you do call talk to Ash. He is an absolute fantastic guy who knows his stuff.

I didn't buy locally because the dealer in Wichita (Custom Sound) was very rude. They also wouldn't budge a cent on the price even though I was buying 7 speakers at once. So I took my business elsewhere.

------------------

---

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

anu, i go to accent sound in overland park, ks. they're pretty good & fair. talked to kief's by phone once but haven't made it in yet.

accent told me that the cherry they ordered were the last finish production run klipsch did for the rf-7. black was probably the 1st. may explain why they've not shown up yet at quite a few dealers. they musta ordered cherry.

all my klipsch are black too 'cept the cornwalls refinished in well ah, cherry Smile.gif

Congrats, Anubis. And welcome to klipschland.

I'd love to hear a full blown Ref-7 system on of these days.

Big thumbs-up to Kief's in Lawrence. Nice place. I've done a little business at Accent Sound in OP, too. Another nice audio-dweeb establishment.

------------------

JDMcCall

Way to go, Anubis!!! Oh how I have longed to hear from someone with the new Klipsch "7" array with a SVS bass! I can vouch for the KLF 30 Legends you lusted after in times past... and they are so good, particularly for HT... especially when complemented by a Twin SVS Ultra system that provides true Dolby Minimum Reference Level Bass.

I also appreciate your driving the extra miles to find a dealer that cared enough to reward your purchasing power. My local dealer still hasn't put any Klipsch "7" on the floor... they are still in boxes in their storeroom!

I have just about decided to try an SVS 16-46 for the Cornwall Music/Work Center and was considering the PC version. I was very interested to hear about your satisfaction with the 20-39PC... I have not heard an SVS with an integrated internal power amp.

Let us know more about your adventures now that your in the swim of the Klipsch mainstream. cwm32.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

I am extremelly satisfied with my 20-39PC. I went with the PC line because my current audio rack can't support another amp at the moment (looking to upgrade my audio rack also along with getting rid of my entertainment center and going to more of a TV Stand and Full A/V Rack system. The entertainment center is just too big and its holding me back from getting a WS RPTV.). Of course, the SVS is WAY more then enough bass for my theater. I just can't imagine putting twins or an Ultra in here. Plus, with the addition of the RF-7's the bass is even better. I find that the bass is less localizable since its coming from the speakers and the SVS. They blend absolutely perfectly and turn my couch into a bass shaker quite nicely Smile.gif . Of course, that doesn't mean that I would never upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't mind the extra headroom from an ultra or twins. Plus, I wouldn't mind relieving the stress put on 1 SVS sub (I know...it takes a LOT to stress an SVS, but it sounds like a good excuse to tell the family to convince them I need an upgrade Wink.gif ). But that is an upgrade for later on cwm12.gif. I don't think the internal amp changes the sound very much. Of course, I am not the person to be answering this Q as I haven't heard a CS or Ultra to compare. You might email Tom or Ron. They could answer you Q perfectly. They were essential parts to my purchase of the sub. I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't talked to them first as they helped me figure out which sub I would need and if I would need 1 or 2. Those guys are fantastic dudes. They show that customer service doesn't end when you become successful. It should only get better.

PS-I will see what I can do about getting some pictures online. It might take a few days as I have to do it the old fashion way (I don't have a digital camera yet).

------------------

---

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

This message has been edited by Anubis on 08-08-2001 at 09:59 AM

------ transmission cwm10.gif begun------

Anubis, I have indeed communicated with Tom, Ron, Erik, etc. at SVS and I share your opinion. I wanted reference level bass with all full range speakers set to SMALL... and so that is why Tom recommended the two CS-Ultras powered by an external Samson 1,000 watt amp. I have added a second rack since the joyful day that I sold the entertainment center... so there is plenty of room to play. Having started on their top rung, I have yet to hear what their other configs will do. Since I already have bought so many subs, I just thought I might like to add a 16-46PC to the collection to see what it would do. Of course, I am also eager to hear the new Klipsch subs.

My interest in subs goes beyond personal "ear" appreciation. I am studying the long term effects of low range frequencies on Dementia impaired nonagenarians.. (i.e., my 93 year old mother). She had a battery of tests yesterday at the University and, once again, she has shown improvement that is extremely rare. In fact, she is responding so well that she is an apprentice to be a card carrying participant in this years Northern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire! The Klipsch horns, SVS bass and daily DVD movies have made a big difference in her cognition. And, given your report, Ref 7's may be a way to go for a future tweak.

Given the specs of the Klipsch Ref 7 series and my experience with SVS, I am not at all surprised with the seamless integration you have with your new rig. If I were starting my project today, I would probably do just what you have done... with the exception of upgrading the bass to true Dolby minimum reference levels.

I hope you will start threads from time-to-time to newbies (and us too!) know about your listening adventures with the ideal Ref 7 set-up. Those of us who live in areas where authorized dealers have not made them available to hear are particularly eager to hear from "unbiased" sources. Okay, BobG, I do believe you... but, I respect your professionalism... and that means getting paid for it. It is comforting to hear the raves come from unpaid sources who have been down other roads.

Oh, when you get around to looking at digital cameras, look at the specs of the Olympus E-10, it does the best job of consumer grade digital cameras IMHO. Thanks for the speedy reply, Anubis. HornEd

----- transmission cwm4.gif terminated ------

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-08-2001 at 11:00 AM

Boy..you sure did start at the top Smile.gif I tried the RF-7's at both SMALL and LARGE. LARGE just sounds WAY better for these speakers. And the cool thing about the Denon 5800 is that I can have my mains set to LARGE and have them get the below 80 Hz info and still send the below 80Hz info to the sub also (the LFE+MAIN option in speaker setup if anyone wants to know). Basically I am doubling up on the bass (never hurts cwm4.gif ) That's why my bass just sounds so fantastic and seemless across the front (and chair Wink.gif )

I am glad to hear about your mother improving. I find that for myself my home theater has removed a lot of my stress. I had quite a bit. The home theater gave me a goal to strive for and huge amounts of enjoyment. I could never give it up (especially with my Ref 7's).

quote:

Given the specs of the Klipsch Ref 7 series and my experience with SVS, I am not at all surprised with the seamless integration you have with your new rig. If I were starting my project today, I would probably do just what you have done... with the exception of upgrading the bass to true Dolby minimum reference levels.

This will probably be a project for me after I finish with the entertainment center change. I do eventually want to get an SVS Ultra and get close to true ref levels. But like I said above, the 20-39PC is more then enough to last me for now. Besides, with buying the Ref-7 setup and wanting to change my entertainment center around, my money resources will be drained for a while.cwm27.gif

I will definitely try to start threads when I can about my own personal heaven. You will surely hear from me when Ep.1 gets released on DVD.

I do want to stress one point to everyone who reads my review (this is bolded for newbies to home theater). The review is based on MY opinion only. As with any speaker, receiver, etc purchase you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS test things out for yourself. Reviews are great and I like sharing with others my experience (and brag a little while I am at it), but another person's review does not replace your own ears. I just wanted to stress that to all and I am sure everyone here will agree with me on this one.

Thanks HornEd for the camera suggestion. I will definitely look into it once my resources (money Smile.gif ) fill back up (which I am hoping won't be too long).

------------------

---

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

welcome aboard! i beleive that this 'family' you will find on this bb will be an unexpected benefit of being a 'klipscher'. i love the klf-30's i own w/c-7 center, and didn't want to miss an opportunity to buy them on the chance that the reference series would sound better/worse/different. glad to 'hear' Smile.gif that the ref's are so good to 'ya, let us know more! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Anubis...welcome to the world of the 7-Series. I also have the entire 7 setup, the Denon 5800, twin SVS 16-46pc subs, proscan 60-inch rptv, sony S7700 DVD, Pioneer 606 dd/dts LD Player; the front speakers are connected by Monster Z-2 Series cables, and all the components are running on Monster Z-3 and M-Series speakers. Life is good! One question...are you running all your speakers on the Large setting?

We are teh borg...

Aren't these the coolest speakers. I don't even know if the invertion of sliced bread was as good Wink.gif

Man, you and HornEd both enjoy those SVS just like me. I still can't even begin to imagine 2 subs in here. Of course, after so long I wouldn't mind trading up for an Ultra.

I only run the front L/R speakers at large. I also use the LFE+MAIN setting so the below 80Hz info is still sent to the sub also. I have been meaning to try the others at the large setting since they do extend pretty low themselves. The LFE+MAIN setting will still send the below 80Hz info to the sub for those channels too...am I correct?? I am not quite sure.

Will the center and surrounds be ok on the large setting? I am guessing it won't hurt the speakers at all to have them on large. I know it drives the amp harder, but I am not worried since the 5800 has a pretty good amp in it. Can anyone comment on this?

------------------

---

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

I just joined the Reference Series club. I took delivery of a pair of RF-3's and an RC-3 on Tuesday. I couldn't be more pleased with the sound. These speakers are incredible. I listened to a few CDs I've heard a thousand times and I heard things I've never heard before on them. WOW!!!

I stepped up from a pair of KG 2.5 bookshelf speakers to the RF-3's. These speakers are worth the money.

I've been enjoying my new Denon 5800 and Rf-7 series ex/es setup for about a month. At the store demo when I was shopping they had it running side by side with a comparable set(price only I assure you) of Def-Tec powered towers and surrounds. Let me tell ya the RF-7's just pulled their sock of a grille cover off and whipped their butts. Clarity and dynamics...aren't horns great. Only thing in the store(Hifi-Buys in Nashville) I thought sounded equal/better in the price range where some Revel bookself monitors(cheapest speaker Revel makes). The Revels had a bit more refined sound, but they could never fill my large theater like the RF-7's do. Only draw backs to the 7 series are that the cherry RF-7's they had on display weren't darker so I had to get black and also the RS-7's are kinda big lookin' when hung on the wall. But alas, when playing 7ch. stereo it's nice to have an 8" woofer in your surrounds Smile.gif.

The I.C.E. House Theater:

Denon AVR-5800

Klipsch RF-7

Klipsch RC-7

Klipsch RS-7 x's 4 (ex/es)

Dual 15" Diy subs pwrd by QSC plx1602

Boxlight MP-38t projector on a 102" wide gray screen

Sony ns-700p progressive scan dvd player

Aura Bass-ShAkErS x's 10

------------------

If it sounds good, keep tweakin'...if it sounds great, time for an upgrade.