Scaled Khorn

swells

I started my experiment with the scaled k-horn and thought I would post a few photos. Everything has gone very well as far as dimensions and angles, the problem lies in cutting and cutting the same thing twice. After cutting a couple of the interior wings I decided that I would have to build templates in order to have some kind of symmetry between them.

Yes it has the 12" k-22 driver.

Well, my first thought was to build a K-horn (true scale) and buy the pieces over time and buy the pieces (drives and cross over) as I had extra cash. That was going to take too long, Im bored now. So I got the bright idea to scale this down to improve the fitment in my house and give me a chance to see if I could actually piece together the horn. There are a number of difficult cuts for my limited exposure to woodworking, but everything went very well. Other than that, I have drivers and crossovers that I can throw in, for now, sitting in the Heresy.

As for the sound, I only have one built so far. I did some testing last night between it and the other Heresy and ran 1-12th octave tone as well. They both started dropping off soon after 75hz, but the S Khorn leveled off and ran down into the 40s and 37 where the Heresy kept on dropping. I dont have a dbl meter, so I couldnt give you any definite numbers in this area though. At this point, I found this interesting enough to build a second so I can hear them in stereo, this would give me a much better idea of how the sound in the mid to low range. I am worried about the crossover area ~600hz. This may be a bit high for the base bin. I am now wondering if the k-55 and k-501 would fit in this cabinet, I think the k-401 would be too long. All in all, its been a fun project with more to come Im sure.

Good Luck finding a used K-501 horn. { Nowhere to be found ! }

*** They cost $140 new from Klipsch .***

YIKES !!!

By the way, great job on the "S K-Horn" !

Wow $140 for a new. I have been pricing parts and the one that scared me was the K-55-X (replacement to the K-55-M) $515.85 CA each. I think Ill save my money and play with this setup until I find a pair of used Klipshorn for sale near by. I am starting to get hope for a pair near by, saw a pair in the Boston area. That would only be a 10 to 12 hour drive, but I didnt like the look of those ones. Too much money and a cabinet maker had done a restoration job. If they belong to someone here, I dont mean to insult anyone, I just didnt care for the veneer. In the photo, the rear opening looked as if it had been sealed. That couldnt be though, how would the base bin operate.

Time so far is about 16 hour, not including the time compiling the information and producing a 3d cadd design. But that does include time to build three templates, keep two kids from fighting every time I left the room LOL (I think they were testing me, how many time can we get dad to run back up stairs) oh and last night I couldnt wait until I had the head finished, had to hook up the base bin as soon as the glue set. I think the second one will go much faster. Depending on the performance, I will put some cherry veneer on or cut them up for fire wood. Time will tell. Really, they sounded good last night. The base was defiantly improved and cant wait to get a second one running too.

Supplies, two sheets of ½ and one sheet of ¾ MDF will two (a pair) ~$120 CA.

Here's how to embed the pics into the text window.

using enclosing arrow brackets instead of # characters, can't use real arrow brackets as they are interpreted by the BBS...

#img src='http://klipsch.forum.com/idealbbs/files/pic_jpg'#

where "pic_jpg" is the name of the picture file that you whave already uploaded.

Guys, correct this if I'm wrong, I'm doing it from memory (which is highly questionable).

If you change the # to the arrow brackets, it should load into your text message. Use preview to ensure that it works. Use edit button to change it until it does work.

DM2.gif

Yeah, I though that was a bit pricey too, especially when the prices on 401, 77 & 33 came in at what I was expecting. I wrote back to check the price on the 55-X again, kind of expecting it was a type-o, but no such luck. Did the 55-M cost that must new? I had been in touch with Bob Crites thru ebay and will probably go that way if I proceed, but it is really nice to here someone else mention his name. I have always been nervous of buy thru there, especially with the scams that are being pulled lately.

Here is some info I got from Bob, he has the Atlas PD-5Vh drivers (same as the K-55V) for about 1/4 of what Klipsch wants for that new thing. He also has a replacement for the K-77 at around $150/pair new.

Might be of interest to you.

Also, why crossover at 500, the K-600 from the Cornwall is regularly available on ebay, use it and save the $$ on the K-500. Or even the K-700 from a Heresy, these are common on the bay. The K-22 goes up to 700 in a Heresy, why not in your scaled down Khorn?