NAD 2200

tgourlie

I have an chance to get two NAD 2200 PE amps for a great price. I am thinking of getting them for a two channel system Heresy II's for now, khorns later. I could also get the 2 ch NAD corresponding preamp to go with it (model # escapes me). What do you guys think? I know they are no McIntosh, but clean and simple works for me.

Greetings:

There are 2 schools of thought regarding NAD.

One is that they are a design only, made elsewhere Company.

The other is that at worst, NAD is Fair to Good quality.

I own three piece of NAD. Made in different Countries, made in different years.

I have no complaints. If they are a good price, definitely buy them.

And this folks is my 1700th Post.

dodger

I once had two 2200's but both had problems with output relay going bad. At that time, I was using an Ampzilla that had been updated by the its creator, Jame Bongiorono, to drive a pair of Maggies. For a fun, I replace the Zilla with NAD 2200 and I was amazed at how much better the NAD was in all sonic catagories. I sent the Ampzilla back and forth several times and gave up at the end. But then the NAD's started to have output relay problems, I gave up on them also.

Ki

The only problem with the 2200's is the relay. It is an easy fix and costs about $50. Once it is replaced, you will get a lot of life out of them.

For the used price, the 2200 is a great value. Bridging them, makes them sound so much better than sterio. And if you bypass the protection circuits, they sound much more dynamic.

They are very powerfull. I blew out a Heresy woofer. If you remember easylistener ( he bought two 2200's from me) posted a few years back that the actually, physically, blew the woofer cone out of his RF3.

I replaced my 2200's with McIntosh MC-250's which are also a good value amp, compared to the blue meter mac prices.

Depends on your budget of course, you will not likely find a MC for as little as a NAD.

JM

TG, This should ease your mind.

My Heresy blowing was in the '80's when I was purely listening to Metal, punk, and early Industrial. VERY Extremely LOUD!!!!! My Heresys got me through college and were in the center of uncountable parties of insane volume levels and with only one woofer blowout. To me that is a pretty good track record.

Also remember that the K77 is known for blowing, and I never blew a K77 in all my years of overpowered NAD usage which tells you the amp does not clip very much if at all, even when bypassing the clipping protection circuits.

If you are really concerned, drop in a 2 amp fuse on your positive speaker wire to your woofer to ensure it blows before your woofer.

JM

TG

Also, I still own those good old Heresys that I took to college. They don't look the best, but they still sound awesome.

At the moment, my oldest son owns them and soon they will be off to college for another round of parties in a few short years.

I am so not ready for that!!!!! Where did the time go. It just seems like yesturday........

JM

Guest Anonymous

jm how do you bypass all the protection circuitry, by just turning the soft clipping off etc? i just got it all hooked up and they sound good, they are still humming though so i am not sure what to do about that. They have chokes on the cords and are both on a conditioner, i hhave not had the opertunity to really crank them yet, but i look forward to spending the afternoon tommorrow breaking my speakers in and getting some heavy use out of these amps.

George

Ground loops can be a sucker to isolate. Do you have a second power conditioner? I try moving each component on and off of your conditioner to see where the problem is. If you don't have a second conditioner, just use a terminal strip for now. It could be a CD player, TV, preamp, anything. If your house is older, it can be harder to find. I would also get a tester to check your wall outlet to make sure it is not crossed.

You may want to contact smillin on the forum, he battled electrical problems in his house and may have some pointers.

To bypass the high and low filters and the protection circuits, use the lab in RCA jack instead of the normal jack.

JM