La Scala Butchery

ooteedee

I think that I understand where the confusion lies:

what I call the BAFFLE (or baffle board) you refer to as one "motor board"; that is correct (at least for me) ONLY when the driver is mounted directly to the baffle, as with the stock cabinet.

I am making a distinction between the two as the "optional" motor board (with the driver attached) mounts to the baffle board with bolts and wing nuts.

The separate motor board approach is the the only way to have a tried-and-true way to effectively swap out different drivers with no modifications to the cabinet.

So, with that explanation in mind, as you said, the "motor boards" are indeed "stacked".

DM

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok.

Got it.

I never got...that the ACTUAL motorboard would come out.

Since it has been my intention to screw the wings of the horn chamber to the motorboard from inside the doghouse......I have always assumed the motorboard was "un-removable"....hence the "stacking" confusion.

How do you hold all the wings in place?

PS: Forgive me if you have already explained this somewhere else.1.gif

You're confusing me again with the wings on the motor board - you mean baffle board? If that's the case, the throat channel baffles (or "wings" as you referred to them) are typically glued and screwed to the baffle board from the back chamber side and conversely from the "back" panel of the cabinet.

The "optional" motor board is removable, the baffle board is not.

I tend to build these things starting at the front of the baffle first, however, perhaps some of the other guys could help here.

There are some step-by-step instructions posted with the revised LS plans from Andy (HDBRbuilder) that outline what to do first.

DM

Ok. I didn't see your followup post, where you admitted they were "stacked".

So they are! 9.gif

Ok.

NOW I got it!

Thanks!

PS: According to the Klipsch blueprints....the board with the 3x13 hole is the "motorboard". And what you call the "throat channel baffles" are called "wing sections" on the blueprints. Hence our confusion!

Looks like I confused myself, and answered the same thing more than once! I thought the first post "didn't take".

----------------

On 1/5/2005 2:37:23 PM ooteedee wrote:

Since it has been my intention to screw the wings of the horn chamber to the motorboard from inside the doghouse.

How do you hold all the wings in place?

----------------

Only 2 things are EVER removable from the bass horn cabinet:

1) the bottom access panel

2) the woofer (or, if used, the OPTIONAL 15x15" driver-mounting board and woofer, which I call the motor board in such a case)

The BAFFLE board (the throat-facing part of the doghouse with the throat cutout in it) IS NOT REMOVABLE, of course.

The throat channel baffle pieces (the angled parts you called wings) are glued and screwed to the BAFFLE board. The channel parts are glued and screwed from the inside of the back chamber and conversely from the outside "back" panel of the cabinet. See the LS plans thread for Andy's (HDBRbuilder) instructions as a step-by-step thing, as he used to actually work in the Klipsch factory.

DM

• 2 weeks later...