Humming S-5000

doctorcilantro

I have a modded ST-70. I am still not quite done with it, but for the money, I think you could do about as well to buy or build a new amp. It certainly isn't a Dynaco by the time you are done, since you mostly end up with the transformers left. I am planning on moving it over into a larger chassis. Since I have had it since the early '70s and only paid $50 for it originally, I'm not that unhappy, and it meant there was plenty of help when I asked questions.

I DO like the sound though.

Marvel

Is that Ned's board? I went with the Curcio one myself. I like it a lot, and the amp is sounding good. Really good with my JBLs. I hooked it back up to my Heresy IIs last night. Still sounds good, but not as full.

I'm asking everyone this, who has one. Does your power transformer get quite hot?

Marvel

I cured my HUMMING problem by converting my three prong plug to a two prong plug.

Apparently, the humming in my subwoofer was caused by a grounding problem.

If you can't or won't pull the third prong from your plug, connect it to an extension or converter that changes it to two prongs.

I used an extension and pulled off the third prong.

Voila! Humming gone, instantly.

And to think, I was going to sell it on EBAY to buy a new one!

• 3 weeks later...