HK 430

AnalOg

----------------

On 12/19/2004 11:42:55 PM nicholtl wrote:

Loose connections to the speakers?

Maybe "midnight" mode is on?

Could the volume control be stuck?

Perhaps the dB gain on the receiver was accidentally turned down to a negative value?

Wrong speakers (B as opposed to A) are selected?

----------------

Nah no loose connections, this old HK has no midnight mode, volume control works as I turn it up full volume you can hear low equal output out of both speakers. I cycled all the buttons on the front with no change in condition.

Get can of electronic cleaner from radio shack and clean all the controls. Check the fusses on bottom to also fuses can look good and be bad make sure you check them with a tester.Make sure the speaker leads not shorted out at the reciever or speakers,could be a stray strand of wire shorting out on those. Rick

I have had the shorting that Rick is discussing - so check close.

On my 740 (a different beast, but something may apply) I had something very similar happen - I ended up going to the speaker system 2 connections and all cleared. Since it has worked this way for about a decade I haven't looked for the root cause...

----------------

On 12/21/2004 9:23:31 AM ricktate wrote:

Cool,Im glad we got that fixed....still check those wires and look up Andys post on cleaning and turnning it on and off. Turn it on with speakers and loudness off for like 30 seconds before turnning speakers on ,,same goes turnning it off just reverse it.Rick
----------------

Thanks for the hints Rick, I'll pass the procedure on to my 9 year old son who uses this unit. I'm not sure if he will abide by it though.

Tom

Guest Anonymous

the hk does have a late night mode but it can only be turned on through the remote and this wouldn't change that anyways because it can only be used on moveis that have a late night mode encoded on them

check for simple things first before you dismantle the whole piece

----------------

On 12/21/2004 11:46:45 AM Gramas701 wrote:

the hk does have a late night mode but it can only be turned on through the remote and this wouldn't change that anyways because it can only be used on moveis that have a late night mode encoded on them

check for simple things first before you dismantle the whole piece
----------------

Gramas,

This is the 430 from the 70's not the surround receiver of today.

Tom

----------------

On 12/22/2004 8:50:28 AM dougdrake wrote:

Sounds like the fuses that blew took out the amplifier and all you were getting was the output from the pre-amp, which would be very low. Hmm, young son's stereo. Fuses blown. Wonder how THAT happened?
;)

----------------

Ya, while I was jamming downstairs he was rocking upstairs!9.gif

Tom