Article by PWK: Small Corner Horns

WMcD

Ref: Gil's attachment for the Rebel (1-3-05). I asked on another forum why the chamber behind the slot to the corner was so large and was satisfied with an answer of a "tuning chamber" until I saw the Klipsch paper. Then realized he was talking about the back loading chamber. If you compare fig 2 and 3 you will see a big difference in flare rates. Paul must have did this for economic reasons and is probably OK sound wise, but I still think that first chamber volume (AFTER THE SLOT)is much too big. Neither the LaScalas or K-Horns are like that. I've never seen any kind of horn with that shape.

Answer should be a flat vertical board placed close to the slot and a vee splitter. I'm going to try a removeable piece, but wanted more input(ET)

before I commited. Zene

Well, yeah, I see what you mean. Figure 2 shows a theoretical setting where the initial area is smaller than what is shown in the Figure 3 actual construction.

I don't see it as "tuning" at all. For that you need a chamber and a trapped mass of air in a pipe, like a bass reflex.

My guess is that the larger area does not affect performance very much. In horn - transmission line analysis the mouth size (termination) is a very big influence. Also, the overall horn performance is a function of the overall lenght. Little blurbs (like this chamber) don't do much good or bad. But I'll be the first to say we'll never be sure without an A-B test with good testing equipment.

OTOH. Bruce Edgar had written how he sealed his horn projects with caulking material. He said it might have not be necessary but it let him sleep better at night. I follow that thought in many areas. If something looks cludgy, you'll always have second thoughts if you don't address it.

Gil

More on Figs 2 and 3.

It looks to me like the speaker is a horn loaded bass reflex. The slot would be a small port because the enclosure volume is large.

I have seen discussions on that issue where the thought was that one should just forget the small port and be content with a closed box.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to horn load a port because the horn is never long nor large enough to influence bass frequencies. But I guess one could say this was ane early version of a flared port so popular these days.

The corner does what the corner does.

I have always wanted to build one of these things and put my Cornwall components in there and try to tune it like the cornwall.