so, my mc250 came today

tofu

i'm using it with rf-3ii's.

i must say for the price, it sounds pretty decent. i bought it off audiogon, and it was in pristine condition.

i don't have a pre-amp at the moment. i'm connecting my soundcard (santa cruz) directly to the amp, so i probably am not seeing its full potential.

i read somewhere that connecting your 8 ohm speakers to the 4 ohm tap will increase soundstage and bass. i'll give that a try after i submit this thread, and let you guys know how it goes.

feel free to chime in with suggestions, comments, negative/positive opinions on this amp.

oh, i forgot to mention.

i was browsing the audiogon forums yesterday and came across a thread where atleast five people said the mc250 was TERRIBLE.

i'm not sure what on earth they were talking about, unless im being blinded by a hardcore placebo effect. perhaps it sounds bad on other speakers, but that's far from the truth with klipsch.

MC2502.jpg

Yeah, I've owned a direct-coupled (no autoformers) MC7200 power amp, originally purchased for my very inefficient Magnepans, and it worked flawlessly with my Cornwalls as well (with 200 WPC @ 8 ohms it was major overkill). I later borrowed my bro's classic MC2100 until I was able to get my favorite vintage MC250 amp (both with autoformers)...these last two classic black and chrome power amps were the closest SS amps in my system to sound like warm tube amps with the Cornwalls; if I didn't own my 300B SET, I'd still be driving my Cornwalls with the beautiful MC250 it's that good!2.gif

post-11084-13819260014588_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/22/2004 7:51:18 PM tofu wrote:

i was browsing the audiogon forums yesterday and came across a thread where atleast five people said the mc250 was TERRIBLE.

----------------

I would bet these 5 people were trying to drive there maggies with the 250, instead of the 400 WPC that is needed6.gif

The 250 is a great amp. I have 4 of them running in my Heritage HT.

JM

No tofu, they were on their own terminal...right channel cable in front of and overlapping the left channel cable. It's just hard to see in that pic. Plus that was 11 AWG cable...way too thick to be using on that terminal strip. Those little screws had on helluva time keeping that cable connected.