To Sub or Not to Sub

ooteedee

I use a smaller KSW12 with my Cornwalls. No output with straight 2 ch on my Yamaha 2400, but it really kicks in in HT modes (LOTR, Nemo) and helps a bit when using 7ch stereo (all speakers on, but no DSP). If you use your setup for 25% or more HT, a sub is pretty much a must. There is too much info contained on modern movies to ignore this part of your setup. Remember Heritage speakers were designed to reproduce MUSIC, and are pre-pre-pre even sensurround (earthquake) days.

Michael

Use a quality sub. I have my SVS available and use it with both my Belles and my RF-7s in two-channel and when running my Belles and my Vertical Cornwall in the front-three array. Additionally, it is always there for HT duty.

It is true that most music does not go below 60 HZ so even LaScalas and Belles reproduce most of bass found in songs even without subs. But - adding a nice sub - even with older Klipsch speakers means that you can supplement the lower end - and with certain types of music (i.e. pipe organ), it is really necessary.

Flexibility is the key. If you want pure two-channel, you can always turn the sub off. However, it is really nice to have it in reserve.

Carl.