Best Buy salesmen

Professor.Ham.Slap

You guys that rap Bose are all so smart, why don't yas just get in a big circle and......give each other a big pat on the back.

Bose ARE as good as Klipsch. There are no perfect speakers, it's all about preference. If somebody likes Bose it's no skin off your ***. Unless you feel insecure with your own tastes and need to boost yourself by tearing others down.

As for salesmen at Best Buy; all they need do is be competent to take my money. I decide what I want to buy.

Tom,

Your post reminded me of the ads that have several items for the same price, and the caption reads "Your Choice"... AS if it ever weren't.

My Bose 901s are at my mom's, and I listened to them playing Christmas music tonight. They sounded pretty good. My preference, however, is what I came home to, the Khorns. There are reasons for that preference that have nothing to do with Bose, or any other speaker maker. I get tired of the brand bashing, too, but then I remember Ford/Chevy comments that I've heard...

Merry Christmas

SSH

----------------

On 12/24/2004 9:20:30 PM TBrennan wrote:

You guys that rap Bose are all so smart, why don't yas just get in a big circle and......give each other a big pat on the back.

Bose ARE as good as Klipsch. There are no perfect speakers, it's all about preference. If somebody likes Bose it's no skin off your ***. Unless you feel insecure with your own tastes and need to boost yourself by tearing others down.

As for salesmen at Best Buy; all they need do is be competent to take my money. I decide what I want to buy.

----------------

Yes it all does come down to preference... However, they earn their ridicule not because of the sound, but due to the fact that they use $20 drivers, plastic enclosures and small amps then charge a buttload of money for them. No offense to the people who like them, it's just what I see as sleazy business practices (i.e. trying to screw the little guy. 2.gif

Shade wrote:

Sometimes I don't know whats worse : The fact that the salesperson is pushing $350 in cables, or that they actually believe you need them.

LMAO! Everyone should know that you have to be careful with saleman. It's all about commission or fame. I been in the retail business to know it's all about who has better game. Though some don't get commission they do get security and a raise for selling their products. Who buys cables for $350? People who are filthy rich. There are decent cables out there for less than half the cost.

-Enigma

----------------

On 12/23/2004 8:17:22 PM MBM135 wrote:

Funny, I had an unpleasant Best Buy experience today also in Fort Collins CO. Bunch of kids that are jackasees really.

So, I drove down to Soundtrack. Was offered coffee upon entry. Sales people were not pushy at all and VERY knowledgeable of their products. Store was clean and well layed out and you could watch a regular TV signal--not just the Best Buy HDTV-only feed.

I will probably buy from them--great customer service and a 30 day money back, no questions asked guarantee. And, they sell Klipsch:). Makes it a no brainer.

Mike----------------

Sorry, Bro, but they are going to try to sell you Monster Cables at Soundtrack, too.

Prof, I don't blame the salesguy for giving you the evil eye. If you were the one buying, you would have every right to say no, but you weren't the one buying.

Jay, You are wrong about the amount of markup in Monster Cables. It is a high margin item, (about the same amount of markup as a shiny new pair of Klipsch speakers) but the store certainly doesn't make more profit from $350 worth of cables as they do on a Big Screen TV. I'd venture to say they made a wee bit more than $350 profit on the TV.

And sorry guys, but Best Buy Salesmen do not work on commission.

I have expensive cables in my system, and I don't think anyone suckered me into getting them. Furthermore, I think I got a significant boost in performance and I don't regret anything I've purchased.

"I have expensive cables in my system, and I don't think anyone suckered me into getting them. Furthermore, I think I got a significant boost in performance and I don't regret anything I've purchased."

Just what every conman is looking for, the perfect sucker, the rube who buys into the con and believes in it even after it's exposed.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 8:52:59 AM Griffinator wrote:

Best Buy's margin on the Monster cable is about 55%. They sell them at full MSRP.

Best Buy's margin on most big-screen TV's is about 30-40%. You do the math.
2.gif
----------------

Okay. $350 worth of cables at 55% margin= $192.50

A $3500 TV at 30% Margin =$1050

A lot more profit on the TV.

By the way, the Margin on Audio equipment, Like Klipsch Speakers, is also 50-60%, but nobody codemns Klipsch on this forum for making a profit.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 9:52:02 AM TBrennan wrote:

Just what every conman is looking for, the perfect sucker, the rube who buys into the con and believes in it even after it's exposed.

----------------

So now I'm a sucker because I disagree with you about the value of good cables. You are a real sweetheart.

Well, a quick update on the situation. We never recieved the TV that was supposed to arrive on Sunday, gave them a call today and was told, and I quote, "Oh, we're sorry. We can't deliver to that location. There must've been some communication problem between the manager and the salesman. You can come pick it up if you'd like." Great. Well, screw BB from here on out. We cancelled the order on the TV and I believe I'm only going to be dealing through specialty stores from here on out. Besides, I'd feel better knowing the money was going to a smaller privately owned shop rather than a large conglamorate. I'm not saying that all stores are like that, but so help me I'm never setting foot in that store again.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 11:25:42 AM toddvj wrote:

Okay. $350 worth of cables at 55% margin= $192.50

A $3500 TV at 30% Margin =$1050

A lot more profit on the TV.

By the way, the Margin on Audio equipment, Like Klipsch Speakers, is also 50-60%, but nobody codemns Klipsch on this forum for making a profit.

----------------

Slow down a minute there....

The actual Manufacturer's profit margin on this stuff is completely different from the Retailer's margin. Yes, Klipsch MSRP is typically 100% over the wholesale price, but the smart retailer doesn't sell at full list price, they give discounts off it.

Fact is, 99% of high end speaker and amplifier manufacturers set their MSRP at 100% over the wholesale cost. Why? Because the retailers of high end equipment don't move units the way Mal-Wart does, so they have to make more per sale to keep their showrooms open.

We don't know what Klipsch's cost to manufacture vs. wholesale price is, so calling Klipsch out for profiteering is silly. Unless you know that the cost of the components (horns, titanium tweets, aluminum or Mylar woofers, etc, etc) is, you can't make that accusation.

We have a pretty good idea what Bo$e's cost to manufacture is, based on the quality of the components - so we bash them for profiteering.

this relates to best buy i guess so here is goes(im trying to vent steam):

i go to bb today to listen to the new synergys. i cant here a d@m thing because someone is blasting those very ****ty blo$e near by. after that NOISE is done i start listening. but after breifly looking at the receiver i notice the bass and treble controls are cranked all the way to the right. i go around to the other displays, same thing. the receiver is behind glass in each display, so obviously the "tech setup person" did this. seriously, whats wrong with people. it sounds so f@#ked up. the treble was harsh(more so on the klipsch) and unatural and the lows were one- notey. also the cd player or what ever was very noisy on the klipsch display. even when NOTHING was playing the speakers had "crap" coming out of them. very unappealing. some would pobably just think "those klipsch are crap".

then if i go to the ref dealer a mile away everything is kept neutral on the receiver. no boost of any kind.

anyone have a comment on very poor bb setups? heck, nothing is setup right on these displays. subs are cranked full out,etc,etc. i think as far as i can tell people at bb compare speakers with speakers based mostly on how loud they can play. hardly any regard to sq. ok, ill shut up. i feel a lot better

scp53

----------------

On 12/28/2004 11:04:34 PM Scp53 wrote:

anyone have a comment on very poor bb setups? heck, nothing is setup right on these displays. subs are cranked full out,etc,etc. i think as far as i can tell people at bb compare speakers with speakers based mostly on how loud they can play. hardly any regard to sq. ok, ill shut up. i feel a lot better

----------------

Fortunatly, at the Best Buy here in Fredericksburg, VA, somebody seems to have a clue how to set up the displays. They have all the recievers set flat (no bass or treble boost). As for the subs, normally, they are set where they are supposed to be, but I've seen kids go in there and immediatly crank up the sub to full-blast and then proceed to put some ©rap on and crank that up full! You know, ya got to have da baaazzzzzzzeeeeee.

I usually check the subwoofer setting, and turn it back to where it should be before playing with the display. I've even commented about that to the salesman and he says that they often had to go in there and set the subs back to where they are supposed to be.

Hell, I've seen it even in the local Tweeter store (and we actually have a very nice one, with a good, knowledgable, staff here). A couple of kids went into the high-end car audio room. They cranked the sub all the way up, cranked the bass on the head-unit all the way up, set the equalizer controls all the way up. They put in some CD, and that bass was so damn distorted that the sub started making this hideous popping sound due to the driver bottoming out! One of the salesmen went in there and told them if they do that again, they will be asked to leave. I just stood there shaking my head. I mean, come-on! Do these people actually think that sounds good? Of course, I cannot begin to count how many car systems I've heard where they obvisouly had the bass cranked up to beyond distortion.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 11:42:28 PM skonopa wrote:

Of course, I cannot begin to count how many car systems I've heard where they obvisouly had the bass cranked up to beyond distortion.

----------------

Are you kidding? I live in the "car audio capital of the world", believe it or not, and these idiots run around with their half-a$$ed systems rattling the trunk (which they refused to spend the money to dampen) with distortion you could hear clearly from the car nearby.

Saddest part is, they really think people are impressed.

Won't be long before I have all the dough together to do what I really want to do with my car system (yes, on my cheap little 1990 Honda Civic) - design and build a setup that puts out perfectly flat 20-20K at 170dB (yes, I'll have earplugs on hand when I do this) so I can literally drown them out in their own car...

----------------

On 12/28/2004 1:46:37 PM Griffinator wrote:

Slow down a minute there....

The actual Manufacturer's profit margin on this stuff is completely different from the Retailer's margin. Yes, Klipsch MSRP is typically 100% over the wholesale price, but the smart retailer doesn't sell at full list price, they give discounts off it.

Fact is, 99% of high end speaker and amplifier manufacturers set their MSRP at 100% over the wholesale cost. Why? Because the retailers of high end equipment don't move units the way Mal-Wart does, so they have to make more per sale to keep their showrooms open.

We don't know what Klipsch's cost to manufacture vs. wholesale price is, so calling Klipsch out for profiteering is silly. Unless you know that the cost of the components (horns, titanium tweets, aluminum or Mylar woofers, etc, etc) is, you can't make that accusation.

We have a pretty good idea what Bo$e's cost to manufacture is, based on the quality of the components - so we bash them for profiteering.

----------------

Griff, your point is well taken, but I actually was talking about the the profit that the retailers make, that was the topic of this thread.

As far as the amount of profit that the manufacturers make, I certainly never said Klipsch was profiteering. I think, for the most part, that their products are worth every penny, which is why I own them. I also agree that Bose's products, for the most part, are not worth the price they charge. I have other reasons for disliking Bose as well, such as the fact that they price-fix their products, which, I thought was supposed to be illegal, and the fact that if someone publishes an unfavorable review of their products, they'll send out their legal team to file a lawsuit against the publication.

That being said, I am absolutely positive that Bose spends more on advertising and promotion than Klipsch does (have you ever seen a Klipsch commercial on TV?) So I don't think any of us can assume that, dollar for dollar, Bose makes a larger Profit Margin. That's not to say that they don't, just that there is no way any of us know, one way or the other.

"Are you kidding? I live in the "car audio capital of the world", believe it or not, and these idiots run around with their half-a$$ed systems rattling the trunk (which they refused to spend the money to dampen) with distortion you could hear clearly from the car nearby."

I'm currently working on a license plate frame that won't go Buzzzz...buzzzz...buzzzz every time those big 15's thump in a trunk.

I'M GONNA BE RICH I TELL YA! RICH!! HAHAHAHAHA.......

Tom