5 Channel Amp with Classic Speakers?

jason77095

I have not found any place I can audition electronics with classic speakers so I'm hoping for some advice from this forum. I have a pair of Forte IIs on the way... will use as surrounds with Chorus II mains and Quartet center in a 5.1 setup. Currently using an HK avr525 receiver but considering using pre-outs with a better 5 channel ss amplifier.

Question 1: How much could this be expected to improve overall sound quality?

Question 2: Can/Should this reduce heat generation by the HK receiver?

Question 3: Any suggestions on amps to consider? (Aragon 2005 looks intriguing but more watts per channel than I need with these speakers. It's available on ebay for $1500 but I'd also prefer to spend less.)

Hoping to create flexibility for possible future upgrade to a better pre-amp/tuner but use the HK until I find an attractive opportunity. Listening is primarily music (CDs, SACDs and increasing number of concert/music DVDs) home theater is secondary but we enjoy this as well. Upgrading my JBL powered sub-woofer will probably be last on the list (if done at all).

Will appreciate any answers/insights/suggestions from the forum on 3 questions above.

Thanks

Some added thoughts to generate comments...

Rotel RMB-1075 can be purchased for $800 or less (120 w/channel).

Marantz and NAD both made 200 w/channel monoblocks... appears one can obtain 3 of either brand to drive 6 channels for under $900.

Cheapest used price I've seen for Aragon 2005 is $1250.

Do any members have experience with these? Which approach would yield warmer/less bright sound with Chorus II/Forte II/Quartet set up?

What other options might be considered?

I'd like to minimize heat dissipation. These seem like they should have plenty of headroom for classic Klipsch speakers but, I'm wondering if higher power amps would generate any less heat?

Thanks.

Jason, I think everybody's busy with their last minute Christmas shopping :)

First, I'd reverse the Chorus II and Forte's ... The Chorus, IMHO, are better than the Fortes for duty in the fronts.

As far as heat dissipation, what's the problem? I would think the HK would run cool. Just don't lock it in a closed cabinet and I think you'll be fine.

To your other questions, amps run cool with Klipsch speakers because they're so efficient. The Chorus and the Fortes are really first class speakers and I think in a 5.1 system, they'll knock your socks off if set up properly and you have good amplification.

The Aragon is a perfect mate to these classic speakers. If you can afford it, go for it. Use the HK as a front end until you can afford the Aragon Stage One.

Unfortunately, a lot of these classic speakers have gone by the wayside because companies like Bose have promoted "small, invisible cubes" that sound "big" due to the "hidden bass module" ... It's clever slight of hand but will never be confused with a properly tuned room with good amplification and classic Klipsch speakers.

Happy holidays!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 12/23/2004 8:44:06 AM jason77095 wrote:

Question 1: How much could this be expected to improve overall sound quality?

----------------

Answer: A lot! A good amplifier will do wonders for the soundstage and instrument separation.

----------------

Question 2: Can/Should this reduce heat generation by the HK receiver?

----------------

Answer:Yes! Since you're offloading the amplification to a dedicated box, this should pretty much cut out all of the heat the the receiver has been producing.

Question 3: Any suggestions on amps to consider? (Aragon 2005 looks intriguing but more watts per channel than I need with these speakers. It's available on ebay for $1500 but I'd also prefer to spend less.)

----------------

Answer:Aragon is an awesome match - it's loads of really clean power and will drive your speakers beautifully. Since for you it's about quality and not quantity, I assure you that an excess of power will not hurt the sound. Other brands you could consider are B&K, NAD, Rotel and possibly Outlaw (best price/performance ratio in the field, in my opinion).

I've read a little about the Sunfire Cinema Grand... sounds like a good amp. Do any members have experience using the 200 watt version with Klipsch Classic speakers?

The Sunfire is said to run very cool and can be placed inside a cabinet... very appealing to me! I have a cabinet with glass door that houses all my other audio electronics. While I can rig something else for a high powered amp, it would be most convenient to place one inside, with CD, DVD, cable boxes, etc. That said, I don't want to sacrifice much in the way of audio quality... so I'm wondering how the Sunfire holds up for music listening with Chorus II and Forte II?