Could my CD player be worn out?

jpm

I have a nice single play Denon CD player DCD620. I believe it's around 12-15 years old. I've never had a lick of trouble with it. However, I've read that CD players have a service life and I'm wondering if I should be considering purchasing a new one. I have many hours of play on this one. Like I said, it sounds fine to me through my RF7s. Any thoughts? I don't like to buy new things just to buy new things.

Study now for possible models or their updated versions to be safe.

To replace a working unit, unless you are unhappy with it, is wasting your money.

Yes, there is better technology. Are you looking for that now? If not hold on to your money. Or start saving so that you will obtain a much more improved unit, costing more.

dodger

Dodger, I'll take your advice and wait for something to break before replacing. I've learned in this game that the sky's the limit for dollars spent. I'm where I want to be with my modest system and will not be spending big bucks for small gains.

All I have is a pair of RF7s, a RW12 sub, a Denon PMA2000 integrated amp, and the forementioned Denon CD player. This is enough for my needs.

jpm, Dodger is right. That Denon probably sounds as good as the day you bought it.

But if you continue to spend time on this forum you are bound to start getting curious about what else is out there and would it be better for you. The bug may bite you. New CD player, turntable or whatever.

Your player is fine.........for now2.gif.

mcguy, boy are you ever right. The bug hit me already, hence the RF7s, but in reading and reading many different audio forums I've come to the conclusion that I'll need to start shelling out the big bling to have a better system at this point. I'm very satisfied with what I have, so I think I'll spend my money on CDs instead. After all, it is about the music, isn't it? 3.gif

If it sounds good to you that is the important part.

When you get picky you can hear allot of faults in CD players.

A couple of cheap ideas...

1. clean the laser

2. Dampen the chasis and housing with constrained layer damping.

3. Shield the DACs

4. put or rings on capacitors

5. dampen circuit board

You can buy a "kit" for the EMI and resonance control of a CD player from www.virmode.com and they give you instructions.

I am not asscoiated with this site I just have made 2 satisfactory purchases in the past 1.5 years.

I've also seen cases where a person thought that they did have a problem with their CD as it "skipped" even though the CDs looked pristine.

In those events, it has usually been CD changers. In about 90 % of the time, using a CD lens cleaner twice for the first time, the using a can of compressed air, blow out the try when open.

Dust accumulation, airborne grease, other particulates have "disrupted" the lens reading ability.

The airborne grease, with subsequent grimy dust build up is more prevelant in houses where the CD player is in the kitchen or near, and spray grease, cooking oils are used. Also the grease from cooking adds as can be seen by the build up of grime rather than just dust can be shown by dusting or having to use a damp cloth.

Your choice to stay with your present unit is good as long as you are happy with the sound. As far as costs are concerned, shall we say that there is a price vs audible gain or quality begin to separate widely.

dodger