Monster cable speaker wire - Z series?

masterpp

I went to monstercable website and was thinking of purchasing the Z series for speaker wires. But I noticed that there are two wires in red wire and other 2 wires in black wire. (Z2 Reference Audiophile) That is 4 wires total. Why are there 4 wires? There are only 2 wires input from receiver to speakers.

Should I get Z series or New Monster Cable Navajo White or any recommendation?

Guest Anonymous

forget about monster. You can buy so many better things for the same price. If you are looking for handmade stuff bluejeanscable.com is very popular around here. Canare.com (canare cable is what I use it can be bought on e-bay) and also there are plenty of other companys that offer great wiring I would go for audioquest or vampire wire or stright wire. Any of those 3 can be found at local retailers and are a helluva a lot better than monster. Also check out the thread in general questions about monster as a company and learn to dislike them as much as a lot of us around here

to answer your question, which no one else did, the two pairs are for bi-wiring, this splits the signals between bass and treble in a two way system. this can be done passively or actively, you can do a search under "bi-wire" or "bi-amp" for more details. regards, tony

----------------

On 12/26/2004 4:16:51 AM masterpp wrote:

I went to monstercable website and was thinking of purchasing the Z series for speaker wires. But I noticed that there are two wires in red wire and other 2 wires in black wire. (Z2 Reference Audiophile) That is 4 wires total. Why are there 4 wires? There are only 2 wires input from receiver to speakers.

Should I get Z series or New Monster Cable Navajo White or any recommendation?

----------------

I re-wired with the 12gage Navajo White....Only because I found a hot deal on ebay for about the same price as HD or Lowes. Easy to work with, looks nice, no improvement in sound.

IMHO "wore is wore". Well, not Bob Wore.2.gif

Cleve, hate to differ, but bi-WIRING in a Klipsch sense is just using specialty conductors in your wiring to 'better conduct low and high frequencies'. Or so the theory goes. You are speaking of bi-AMPLIFICATION, a common PA practice, which involves splitting the pre-amp signal before the amp through use of an active electronic crossover, then to separate amps, cables, bypassing the speakers passive crossover, directly to the drivers. Entirely different animals. There is a very lengthy thread regarding BI-wiring on this FOrum.

Michael

----------------

On 12/26/2004 11:59:26 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Cleve, hate to differ, but bi-WIRING in a Klipsch sense is just using specialty conductors in your wiring to 'better conduct low and high frequencies'.

Michael

----------------

Understood, Michael. I've read that in other threads. But that's always left me scratching my head. I could see using separate amps to supply the juice for the different drivers in a speaker. But the aforementioned reads more like a "Monster Cable" method of selling even more overpriced wires. I can already hear the sales clerks at Rat Shack promoting it!

Think of it this way - the amplifier internally typically only has ONE wire each going to the speaker out terminals. How is splitting it and recombining it after it leaves the amp gonna make any measurable difference in signal strength or fidelity? If it does make a difference, then probably the only thing that was actually needed was an upgrade in the gauge of the speaker wire employed.

Cleve,

That's the point EXACTLY! However it is still a split decision. After all the trials, some listeners still believe that this dual conductor method yields better sound. Check out the rather lengthy post in HT forum. Amazing.

I for one, am a fervent believer in a good grade of 14 or 16ga zip cord with tinned ends or proper terminators of whatever type necessary. Think the rest is snake oil.

Michael

----------------

On 12/26/2004 3:19:43 PM rtaylor wrote:

I don't believe anyone said to biwire.If it were me I'd just buy and install a decent grade of speaker wire and forget it. You will not be able to tell any differance in biwireing your speakers.IMHO Happy listening! Randy

----------------

rtaylor is wrong; you can tell a difference. When I bi-wired my speakers, I could tell a difference when I bought my cables, even before I hooked them up: bi-wiring costs twice as much. That's a big difference. Otherwise, I couldn't hear anything, and my system is pretty high resolution.