How are the Quartet's??

desron15

I have located a pair of Klipsch Quartet's near me, and they look to be in pretty good shape. I don't know anything about them besides the fact that they are Klipsch. I've been on the hunt for some more Cornies or a nice pair of Heresy's, and can't find anything local enough for a road trip. Looking to use them in a HT setup, most likely the rears of a 7.1. What is the going price, and what are the specs? Thanks for the help.

Greg

These are the smallest of the three bears of the Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet (no II, there wasn't a I).

I bought mine locally for $400 and brought them home in a very top heavy shopping cart. They were mint with boxes and I have no second thoughts.

The bass is not too impressive compared to the Forte II, but the FII are a very tough act to follow. The Q's are smaller and that is the way the world works.

On the other hand, the midrange and tweeter are excellent.

The specs are in the product section of the the main page, which you can investigate on your own.

Best,

Gil

Let me add that a few years later I bought a pair of Q's off eBay.

Both tweeters, rather than one as advertised, were blown. There was shipping damage to a corner. Enough to be annoying but not enough to be really angry. Typical of long distance buying of second hand equipment. These issues are much larger than moderate price quibbles.

My point is that if what you're looking at are local, you have a big advantage of seeing and listening before buying.

As I said, bass is best as can be expected from a small box. I think they are a very good value in small installations (like mine) and should do well for surround.

Gil

Some would describe Quartets as "Heresies with bass". I would tend to agree. I did not feel My Heresy II's had enough bass as main front speakers. I found the quartets locally and am much happier with their bass response. That being said, I would sell/trade them for Forte II's in a second. But you can use these as mains in a HT setup. They are very clear and detailed. If I never do find a deal on Forte II's, I'll be satisfied to keep my quartets.

Just got out my 'tear sheet' on Quartet for ya.

NICE freq resp curve, very smooth. wide smooth dip from about 300-1500 (about -2 at deepest) and rolloff beginning at 80, drops about 4 db to shelf down to 38Hz at -3 dB, so VERY GOOD low freq for such a cabinet

Consists of 10" wofer K10K

12" sub bass passive KD13

K61K mid hooked up to tractrix hyprid design horn

K76K tweeter

Sensitivity of 97.5 db with one watt input- better than CORNWALLS!

Power handling 100 watts continuous (so max output is around 120 dB)

weighs 52 lbs and is 31h x 16 wx 12d roughly

The sub bass radiator may make placement a bit of issue, but not highly critical

I'd think 400-500 a pair would be reasonable price for a pair of these babies in good shape. You can't go too wrong here, good solid performer, although I've never personally heard a pair. Specs look darn good.

Good luck on purchase and good listening.

Michael

Your profile says Clovis, and I'm assuming that's Clovis, CA? If so then Heresies and Cornwalls come up with some regularity in the Bay and in LA as well. audiogon.com and the Recycler classifieds at www.recycler.com are both good resources for searching those areas, and either area is a reasonable road trip for those of us in the center of the state. I'd be leery of using Quartets for rears with Cornwalls, as they are large and not a particularly good timbre match. Heresies would be a better choice on both counts, in my opinion.

Thankyou all for the great info. Might not do it afterall, as another forum member has offered me his set of Oiled Oak Cornwalls. He left me an e-mail yesterday which I responded to this morning, and I have not heard back yet. They are less than 30 minutes away too!! 9.gif

Fini, you are correct in the fact that I would be very, very hard pressed to find anything nicer than the Cornwalls I got from you!!

For anyone else interested in the Quartet's, They are on E-bay right now with less than 20 hrs left. Still at $200 last time I looked.

Greg

I wondered if those were the ones -- up the 101, just south of San Jose. I'd probably go for them, but we just had that Christmas thing, and then I'd have to sell the Fortes too. It's just the wrong time for me.

Good luck on those Corns though! Let me guess -- those are charlieboy's in Orosi?

There's something else I'd like to talk about. I've sent you a PM.

No, not Charlie. AS a matter of fact, I think I sold Charlie his pair about a year ago. Not for sure though. I used to have a really nice second pair, and someone from just south of Fresno snatched em' up. The pair I am refering to is outa Kerman, just west of Fresno. We spoke last night, and will probably do the deal this weekend. Sweet.........

Thanks for the heads-up with the pm.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...