from 2 to 5.1

wyattearp

Have a set of KLF-20s that I purchased a couple years back. Two-channel only, for now. CDs mostly and radio. Powered by a REALLY old, analog, tube-amp Pioneer receiver. Doesn't even have "CD" listed on the component selector. Klipsch advised that they no longer make the matching center, surround and subs. They recommended another model, which I don't recall at this time, but do remember was "pricey" to complete the system. Am building a 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 system. The question is this: sell the -20s and buy a matching Reference system, look for used components, or....what? And after this, we're gonna talk receivers!!!

Maybe I should elaborate. I am predominately an audiophile, but wish to enhance the home theater experience. A receiver with a remote would be nice, too. So,... can anyone recommend a center channel speaker. Been reading other postings and think it needs to "match" the KLF-20s. I purchased my Klipschs solely on hearing one set of Horns.

The center does need to match the KLF-20s. The center is the KLF-C7 which can be found on eBay and through other used channels.

The current models that you are being offered are all 2 way speakers, whereas the KLFs are three ways. If you do decide to go the Reference route (2 way), then you would probably be unhappy with anyting less that the RF-7s. A complete Reference 7 package would be pricey, while a used KLF-C7 would not break the bank.

Surround speakers are not as critical to timbre match, unless a slight mismatch would bother you. Used surrounds are avaialble, but probably not worth the agravation.

Bill

----------------

On 12/27/2004 9:01:04 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The center does need to match the KLF-20s. The center is the KLF-C7 which can be found on eBay and through other used channels.

The current models that you are being offered are all 2 way speakers, whereas the KLFs are three ways. If you do decide to go the Reference route (2 way), then you would probably be unhappy with anyting less that the RF-7s. A complete Reference 7 package would be pricey, while a used KLF-C7 would not break the bank.

Surround speakers are not as critical to timbre match, unless a slight mismatch would bother you. Used surrounds are avaialble, but probably not worth the agravation.

Bill

----------------

Thanx Bill. I'm new to this, obviously. I saw a RC-7 for sale, but it is a 2 way, right? Any 3 ways currently made? Was also pointed toward the RC-3II, but they are no longer made. How 'bout the RC-35?

4.gif4.gif

The RC-7 and RC-35 are both 2 ways. The RC-7 is VERY good for a 2 way, but it will not match what you have as closely as it should. The center channel gets about 75% of the sound in home theaters. It is critical that it be up to the job. As sound pans across the front there should be no change in the timbre of the sound.

Bill

PS: The KLF-C7 is a 2 way even though it is a center for 3 way speakers. The timbre match should be better than the RC-7 however. B

I have an older 70w/ch Onkyo and I think it sounds good, albeit slightly underpowered, but some people consider Onkyo too bright to drive a bright speaker like Klipsch's.

You might also consider Denon and HK.

edit: The best way to select a receiver is to demo them. I believe anything that matches the current Reference Klipsch's will also go well with your setup.

The Pioneer Elites are excellent with Klipsch. Build quality is excellent and they make rated power with all channels driven. The feature set is usually amongst the best as well.

All of the Elites have MCACC, but only the higher models have i.link. The i.link allows a digital transfer of SACD and DVD-A from an i.link equiped universal player. The i.link is jitter free for all media including redbook CDs.

The most bang for the buck models are the 54TX, 56TXi and the 1014TX (a mon-Elite Pioneer). Only the 56 has the i.link. I have a 49TXi with i.link and am very happy with the quality.

Bill

Wyatt,

Your best match for a center channel is another KLF-20. If you are an audiophile you will hear a difference if you use any other speaker. Your ears will pick up on the the slight voice mismatch when sounds pan across the front speaker array. As you can see in my signature I modified a KLF-30 to make it a horizontal center channel. I can only tell you that it is heaven...9.gif Your next best option is a KLF-C7. Still very good.

I don't know where you are in NC, but I just had an e-mail discussion with a guy near Rocky Mount that is selling a pair of KLF-20's, KLF-C7 and KSW-15 sub. The price and distance didn't work for me, but if you are interested, e-mail me through the forum and I will share his contact info.

Redtop