speaker problems

dallenwake

I have 3 year old DCM floorstanding speakers, (three-way speakers, 1 tweeter,1 midrange, and 1 sub.). After 4 hours of taking the speakers apart and switching recievers and fooling around I found a problem. at first I thought the problem was the tweeter being blown but now I think it is the wires and connections within the speaker itself. I switched the tweeters between the two speakers and the tweeter works fine on the other speaker so it is not blown. I play all of the sound on the speaker that is sounding broken and the sub is the only part of the speaker that is playing sound. I put my ear up to the tweeter and I can faintly hear sound coming from it but the sub is playing at normal range so for me to turn the volume up to be able to hear the tweeter the sub would be playing too loud and would blow.

This is all of the info that I have found out and I just want to know what you guys think is the problem I want to know what to tell the manufacturer so they can fix my problem.

thanks,

Dom Allen

Or how bout a fuse? It isn't uncommon for their to be special protection for the tweeter as it tends to be the first thing to blow. If it's possible, I would pull both crossover networks out and compare the good one to the bad one and look for loose wires or anything burnt (and the fuse of course). A crossover problem is a bit harder to fix, but is usually cheaper than replacing a driver.

I took both tweeters out from both speakers and the tweeter on the speaker that is having problems the two wires that connect into the tweeter seemed to be very loose when i plugged them back into the tweeter. when I plugged the wires into the tweeter they were so loose that when I placed them back into the spot where it sits the wires just came unhooked. is there a way for me to use plired or something to tighten the metal part of the wires that hook up to the tweeter so they stay on,(is this whats causing the the tweeter to be playing so low I cant hear it.)

Also I unscrewed the you screw the speaker wire into (the wire that connects the speaker to reciever) and there was a fuse on the inside of it, it didn't look like it was blown but it was a little cloudy inside of the fuse.

If it is a standard spade connector, yes. Use a pair of pliers to gently squeeze the female end shut. The male end will still be able to go back in, but it will require more effort. You don't want to use enough pressure to flatten them, just increase the tension. Be sure the connectors are apart when you "adjust" them. Carl