HDMI or DVI

Boji7.1

My Hitachi only has one HDMI input. Comcast is coming to my house to set up the hd box, now I can use my HDMI for the HD box or should I use it for a DVD player that has up conversion to HD? Do you guys own any of the DVD players with HD upconversion and if so did you notice a difference between using the DVI or HDMI compared with component. Any help would be appreciated.

Either connection is digital, so there is no signal degradation either way. I hear that HDMI is considered a superior format for some reason, so you should use it for your HD cable connection, since it's higher resolution and higher bandwidth than the DVD player.

And the HDMI cables are very very pricy, at least a month ago they were.

$49.00 for 6.5ft. Also they have optical ones for a about a grand apiece that will expand your system to 333ft. Also a 2 x 1 switch for $229.00. All at your friendly website at digitalconnection.com.

JJK

Boji---Using the hdmi out at 1080I from my Sony upscaler into my Sony LCD RP gives me the best DVD picture I've seen, period. Note that feeding the TV 1080I or 720P from DVD doesn't mean you're getting HD resolution, you get the best the DVD with it's standard resolution has to give but it's not HD.

If watching movies on DVD is important to you then consider an upscaler. Mind that some upscalers, especially the Denons and Panasonic, are reported by some to have problems with a visual artifact known as macroblocking; I dunno, the Sony is immune from this problem and I've never used the players that supposedly have the problem.

You can buy switching boxes to handle several HDMI or DVI signals to a single input.

I bought a 6" hdmi cable online from dvigear for $35.